Dog Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't think he has a skin disease, but just wanted to ask if there'd been any exposure. Since there hasn't been, I think you can rule that out. I think all of your pets, since you did say that the other ones are scratching and also having the red spots, are having an allergic reaction to something.

Of course, I could be dead wrong. Please let us know what the vet says on Monday. Be sure to tell him everything you've told us on this thread, as he needs to see the full picture to help with a diagnosis.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have had a similar situation with my dog. He is a shih-poo. He has always scratched his ears since I have had him but once he turned a year old and he is a year and a half now, his scratching has intensified. I have been through all the same things like changing his food, eliminating treats, buying products for cleaning with no scents, etc. etc. I also have been doing alot of research on what could be causing this itch because his skin is perfect otherwise with no rash, etc. etc.

I have found out that of course the protein source in the food could be a problem and that chicken is one of the most common protein sources that dogs would be allergic to as well as others. The vet put him on a hypo-allergy food that is a soy protein. After his itching continued, I started researching the ingredients in these fods. One thing I found is that it had 3 ingredients from his last food are in this new food. I have now changed him to Purina DRM.

He had 2 1/2 weeks of totally not scratching. I couldn't believe it. Until........ I gave him his flea medication! He has been on both Revolution and Sentinel from the vet. He has scratched since I have had him and I have been giving him this flea medication faithfully every month. Because of the intense scratching I have had no alternative but to put him on steriods for a short time because his hair was thinning. I am pretty sure that this may be the culprit because I gave it to him at 4:00 p.m. and the intense scratching starting that night.

I will not be giving him any flea medication for awhile until I see how he makes out.

Has anyone else had any pets with reactions to flea medications?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I don't think he has a skin disease, but just wanted to ask if there'd been any exposure. Since there hasn't been, I think you can rule that out. I think all of your pets, since you did say that the other ones are scratching and also having the red spots, are having an allergic reaction to something.

Of course, I could be dead wrong. Please let us know what the vet says on Monday. Be sure to tell him everything you've told us on this thread, as he needs to see the full picture to help with a diagnosis.
My other pets do not have hot spots or rashes, I said that they were just scratching more and that thier skin was fine, like how my original dog started. Nothing has changed in the last week so I don't think they have an allergic reaction.

@little runt
I don't think the hot spots were an allergic reaction to the frontline (since this is his second month on it and the first time nothing happened), but well see what the vet says.

Right now my dog is on beef and rice purina one food. He's on this because he's a VERY picky eater and it's the only food he'll eat. I heard beef is a common food allergy so I'm going to try to switch him onto the lamb and rice variety to see if it helps. Hopefully he'll like it.

I'll be sure to tell the vet everything and post an update here. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
680 Posts
Has anyone else had any pets with reactions to flea medications?
I find it to be the same way when I give my 2 small pups their monthly Comfortis pill. They seem to scratch more than ever for several days, but no hair loss occurs.

Also, we used Frontline on our Labrador Retriever once when she was a puppy. The spot of application actually turned into an awful sore that our vet had to attend to under sedation.

This week, one of my pups, Tucker, started having seizures after taking his monthly dose of Comfortis. You are not supposed to give Comfortis to a dog if it has ever had seizures, because one side-effect of Comfortis is seizures. Tucker will never again be able to take Comfortis, so we are switching him to Advantage ll.

Maybe someone else will come along with better information, but truly, you should start your own thread. That way Holly, who is a veterinarian and checks the Health Boards, will see your new thread and respond to it. With your post hidden, so-to-speak, inside this thread it may take longer to get a response.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My other pets do not have hot spots or rashes, I said that they were just scratching more and that thier skin was fine, like how my original dog started. Nothing has changed in the last week so I don't think they have an allergic reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device
I apologize for not having reread your post that said your other pets were scratching, but you could find nothing wrong with their skin and also saw no fleas or flea dirt. I should have gone back and double-checked before I answered your post. :eek:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Frontline has never worked for me. While using it very consistently, Mollie was still full of fleas. We switched to Trifexis and the fleas vanished.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. I don't believe his hair loss had anything to do with the flea medication; I believe it was because he never stopped scratching. The problem when a dog continuously scratches is that if the skin is irritated and they scratch, the skin will stay irritated and therefore the pattern of scratching will continue. That is why I have him on a low dose of steriods right now prescribed by the vet to get the itching under control (which it has), and I don't plan to give him any flea medication to see how he makes out without it. Because he is a small dog that needs regular grooming, about every 4 to 5 weeks, if a flea presents itself, I will know.

If his scratching continues after this, I plan to change his food to a grain-free food.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: what the vet said...

So today I took my dog in to be checked out and see if this was an allergy or if it had gotten serious/contagious. The vet said he thought it was just environmental allergies because he has gotten many patients in with the same symptoms over the last few Weeks and the pollen and other outdoor allergy stuff has been at record highs lately. He also said he thought it could be that the frontline isn't working on him much and so the fleas could also be bothering him along with the outdoor allergies for he did find some proof of fleas on him. He didn't think he had a flea allergy though, but couldn't be sure. He said that the itching and hot spots were enough to have some antibiotics and so he gave us some antibiotic pills and a spray for treating the hot spots. He told me to try advantage or k9 advantix next time since the frontline hadn't been working well. he said to continue giving the zyertic since it seems to be helping, if even a little. He also said if his itching hadn't improved and if hot spots were still coming up after the course of antibiotics to bring him back for some steroids and further evaluation. Regarding my other pets, it's kind of complicated how he explained it, but he thought they only had fleas and they weren't scratching before because the flea cycle was being broken but now the flea eggs/larve have become adults and were bothering them. He told me to get them on advantage if it seemed the frontline was failing them too.

I'm so glad it wasn't contagious or dangerous and that it might just be a simple case of allergies and a few fleas, but I'll have to wait and see if he improves while on the antibiotics and if the hot spots continue.

Really don't want to put another topical on him so soon so I'll try advantage in a couple weeks or so, also the visit came out to be a little more than expected so now I'm really low on funds :/

Anyways,
thanks for all the replies you guys^^ means a lot
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Not quite an update but...

Advantage or Comfortis?

So I should be able to buy the flea med this coming week, but which should I try out? My dog's itching has gotten a lot better, but the little he is scratching is due to fleas for I have found a few since his vet visit. Now I was going to buy a single dose from the vet to see if it worked then later buy a pack, but which should I try out? A really long time ago, I tried advantage for my dogs and it worked excellent. But how does comfortis work? I've never tried a pill for flea prevention. Does it kill all life stages of the flea and how fast does it work and does it repel fleas all month? Was considering a pill since my dog has several shows coming up in a few Weeks and I would have to be bathing him often and I didn't want that to affect a topical like advantage.

Thanks for advice :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would suggest taking him to your Vet, let them do a flea dip, and your Vet can decide if a steroid shot might be in order to provide relief from the intense itching. Then, as already suggested you have to consistently used a top flea med, this is no place to try to cut costs. Believe me your poor dog is absolutely miserable with the itching, and is counting on you to provide he the relief he needs and deserves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try feeding him food without soy in it. This can cause intensely itchy skin. Prednisone helps alleviate the itch but then watch the dog gain weight, or water. A friend's little dog was like this. She started reading labels and feeding more household food. It cleared up and dog was off prednisone within a month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was a feeder for over 234 dogs daily at the NSPCA I was trained to notice these type of symptoms. ... unfortunately vets don't follow the belief in the food allergies always. ... my opinion of your situation with your dog is this: food unfortunately is overlooked for the major irritants.... wheat soy and corn is your major ones. ... I suggest grain free food and it does not have to be expensive. ... remember to look at the ingredients 1st ingredient should NEVER be corn. .... I suggest looking into Fresh Pet Baked Grain Free : Freshpet Fresh Baked Grain-Free Chicken
Made with 100 percent fresh chicken
All natural with added vitamins and minerals
Made with fresh ingredients
Gently cooked to lock in nutrients
Made without chemical preservatives
Healthy dose of superfoods like spinach and cranberries
Doesn't include any rendered meals
Each recipe is cooked at lower temperatures, not over-processed, to retain essential nutrients
Find this recipe in the dry dog food aisle ... no here is the part many overlook. ... treats or wet food need to be grain free as well ... if your best friend is allergic the itching could be return with even a little amount you can find the food at Petsmart or even your local Walmart.... hope this helps

21 - 33 of 33 Posts