Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm here to just ask for some advice because my dog keeps going upstairs and going into rooms getting into stuff. My dog is not supposed to be upstairs unless I say he can, sometimes I let my dog upstairs in my room with me when my room is clean. But other times when my dog is unwanted upstairs, he gets into stuff. I watch my dog but when I look away for a few seconds he's gone. He likes getting into my sisters rooms when they aren't in their rooms and they leave their doors open, (this is not my fault but) my dog went upstairs a few days ago and he went into my sisters room and found a reese's peanut butter cup laying on the floor and I can't prove that he actually ate one but i'm almost sure he did. He never threw up from it but i honestly don't know, but anyways he just sneaks into random rooms trying to see what new things he can eat, tear apart or anything. It makes me annoyed a lot. I've tried shock collars on him just for his behavior, now when i have the shock collar on I only press the beep noise button and If he doesn't listen i shock him. It does work, he listens from it but I don't feel like it's right for him to have it on. Obviously it is right because they wouldn't make it but, i just don't like him having the shock collar on him. I used to have a dog gate on the stairs to prevent him from going up but it got sold, and currently we still do not have one. Anyone have any advice? It's much needed and is thankful for a good answer! Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Your poor dog is confused! You let him upstairs sometimes but shock him others? That is unfair and confusing and honestly cruel. Shock collars are aversives and this community does not condone them, but even if you were to use them you are doing it in an unfair, confusing, and cruel way.

If someone leaves their door open in a house where a dog chews things, who should be held responsible? The human who understands the consequences of their actions, or a dog who is allowed upstairs sometimes and doesn't understand that he isn't allowed other times?

The humans in the house should learn to close their doors or put up a barrier. Please stop shocking your dog, he doesn't understand why you are hurting him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Confused for sure. Take the shock collar off. Buy baby gates or something. If your going to set a rule make it the rule don't change it because it's not convenient right this second. Do you want him upstairs or downstairs?? You can buy baby gates and put them on the stair case and block the whole level. If you only want him up there with you up there then show him that. Tell your sisters to close their doors or you go close their doors but your confusing that poor dog for no reason. Do you have anything for him to do that would keep him busy?? Roaming around a home gets boring. Do you exercise him? Train him?? Work with him stop confusing him and everything should go all right and take the shock collar off :):) Go buy a manly collar with stubs or something on that are cool to look at :):):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is so insane that I’m thinking it’s a fake troll post....if not then I have no advice other than what was said before me...I don’t usually comment on things that I disagree with or simply can’t help with but this seems ridiculous....BABY GATES, CLOSE DOORS, SUPERVISE! TOSS THE SHOCKER.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's not a troll post, it's the honest truth. I wasen't thinking straight and i realized yes, I'm just confusing the dog and truthfully I didn't mean to but i was sort of confused myself. I'm no-longer going to be using the shock collar and I'm just going to allow my dog to be upstairs with me, because he is curious; he wants to know what I'm doing and he wants to be with me. I'll be keeping the doors shut except for mine because I keep my room clean and all else and so I'd like to say, sorry. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's not a troll post, it's the honest truth. I wasen't thinking straight and i realized yes, I'm just confusing the dog and truthfully I didn't mean to but i was sort of confused myself. I'm no-longer going to be using the shock collar and I'm just going to allow my dog to be upstairs with me, because he is curious; he wants to know what I'm doing and he wants to be with me. I'll be keeping the doors shut except for mine because I keep my room clean and all else and so I'd like to say, sorry. :)
It's alright I'm happy you have decided not to use the shock collar Curious is natural just shut the doors and everything should go smoothly

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well then I truly apologize, sometimes people make posts just to get the crowd roaring...I’m glad you’ve decided against the shock collar, great news. Good luck with your pup:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah shock collars are a bad idea.

You can try positive reinforcements?
When you're downstairs on your phone or laptop or tv, have it so you're facing the stairway at the same time. Whenever your dog tries to go up say no! and if he stops and comes down or stays you can throw or hand him a treat?

Definitely, should not allow him to go up there EVER by himself. Any and every time he's up there is only if you're there to supervise him constantly and you're with him. Hopefully he'll realize, Oh I'm only allowed up here when my owners with me.

Good luck though! Simple fix definitely would be a gate or some obstruction to the stairs rather than a shock collar.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
almost - but "No" isn't POSITIVE.

Yeah shock collars are a bad idea.

You can try positive reinforcements?
When you're downstairs on your phone or laptop or tv, [sit] so you face the stairway...
When your dog tries to go up, say no!... if he stops & comes down, or [stops & stays there], you can throw or hand him a treat?

Definitely, should not allow him to go up there EVER by himself. Any and every time he's up there is only if you're there to supervise him constantly and you're with him. Hopefully he'll realize, "Oh, I'm only allowed up here when my owner's with me."

Good luck though!
Simple fix definitely would be a gate or some obstruction to the stairs rather than a shock collar.

Suggestion -
as 'no' is a very difficult concept for dogs, who are slow to generalize & 'No' is nothing if not incredibly "general", since it basically means, 'Stop whatever U're doing at the moment'... but gives no info as to what i WANT the dog to DO, instead -
I'd just say my dog's Sacred Name as a redirection cue when they are at the foot of the steps, B4 s/he actually set foot on the bottom tread, & mark / reward any responsive reaction.

dog glances at me? - Mark / reward.
dog's ear flicks at the sound of their Name? - Mark / reward.
dog stops & stands uncertainly? - Mark / reward.

Anything that isn't 'continue toward or up the stairs' is worth rewarding, & to know what s/he did to GET rewarded, a marker is the key. :)

Even more specific would be a simple, extremely-fluent cued behavior, & for most dogs, the 1st thing they learned was 'Sit'.
'Sit' is perfect to halt virtually any unwanted behavior - a dog who sits can't be blowing out the door past an incoming visitor, racing upstairs to kill pillows, jumping on Granny, taking the Sunday roast off the counter where it's defrosting, chasing the cat, or leaping onto the sofa with mud to their knees.
:thumbsup:

Once the dog SITS & is both marked & rewarded, U've now diverted their attn from "let's go upstairs", & are more-likely to succeed in calling them to U, or better yet, engage them in a quick game of Tug, fetch, chase-a-kibble, or other interaction for a few minutes, then send them to their beds with a long-lasting chewie, or bring them over to lie beside U with one as busywork.

a cow's hoof, antler, sterilized marrowbone, stuffed frozen Kong, _____ .
Busywork for idle paws saves much creative troublemaking. ;)

- terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.