Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile ago I caught this dog as a stray and brought it to second chance the owner was found the same day, and given **** for having a dog not contained.

3 months later, and multiple calls to the owner resulted in nothing... The dog is still loose and very interested in my females who are in season (dog still intact). With no animal control in dryden, and the police wont intervene. I come to the point where I think i must trap this dog... It puts my females in danger of having unwanted litters with this mutt, i tried fencing the yard with 6 foot chain link. But he clears it like nothing...

I'm stumped on what to do

·
Registered
669 Posts
You need to not put your females in heat outside unattended.

That is like rule one of intact dogs. It's totally fine if you want to keep your females intact, but put them outside unattended, especially when they are in heat, and you're going to end up with an unwanted litter.

Is there any way to file a police report listing the dog as a danger of some kind?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to not put your females in heat outside unattended.

That is like rule one of intact dogs. It's totally fine if you want to keep your females intact, but put them outside unattended, especially when they are in heat, and you're going to end up with an unwanted litter.

Is there any way to file a police report listing the dog as a danger of some kind?
My females, once one goes in heat they all do... There is no way to keep multiple German shepherds inside, so I stay outside with them.

I tried the police and they say to contact the owner, which is giving me no headway any things X.X

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Have you tried to get a hold of the dog and bring it to a shelter? It will be safer for your females to aviod a unwanted litter and safer for the dog so he wont get hit by a car or ect.
Just curious, but what do you mean its imposible to keep multipull german shepherds inside?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We brought it to the shelter (second chance) once, they will no longer take him since the owner of the dog is known...

The dogs have the basement, but it's not enough room for them to burn energy. Many of my females from same litters or related can not be together as they would fight to the death

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
We brought it to the shelter (second chance) once, they will no longer take him since the owner of the dog is known.
Seems the shelter should be contacting the owner, since he or she is known to them, regarding responsible control of their dog. If the owner is completely irresponsible about taking care of and controlling the dog, that's what the shelter is there for!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Is there another shelter you could take him to?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No... We live in a small town second chance is all we have. I have contacted many vets to see if they could hold them but they are not willing to.

We have no animal control, and the police just say to shoot it if it's on our property.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If the local authorities responsible for controlling and correcting the situation will do nothing then you may have not other choice but to protect your property. Personally I would go with a 3 strikes rule. First time you catch him I would take him to the local humane society and contact the authorities about the dog running loose, you've already done that so there's strike 1. Second time I would get a copy of the local laws and ordinances and print out a copy for the neighbors making sure to point out your rights about protecting your property when you return him the second time he's caught. Third time around I would contact a rescue organization and see if anyone can take him in and rehome him with owners who actually care about his well being, even if that meant driving him to them.

The dogs have the basement, but it's not enough room for them to burn energy. Many of my females from same litters or related can not be together as they would fight to the death
On a side note, if you have breeding dogs with such a poor temperament that they will fight eachother "to the death" then you may want to re-evaluate your breeding program. With Afghans, the breed involved with, reputable breeders have a zero tolerance policy for poor temperments. Back in the 70's when they were at their hight of popularity, everybody's uncle as breeding them because they were cool with no regard towards their temperment or well being. This in turn resulted in many vey unstable dogs. The breed already has an aloof personality that most people don't understand since they expect all dogs to be happy fun loving dopes like Labs and Goldens. So a fearful or aggressive personality is dangerous for a breed that's a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. Nowadays if a breeder has an unstable dog they get speutered and placed in a single dog household. No matter how perfect their conformation may be poor temperments are not worth keeping in a breeding program. And if you do end up with an occasional bad seed, you should never have so many dogs that they can't be properly managed until a good home can be found for whoever needs to be placed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If the local authorities responsible for controlling and correcting the situation will do nothing
I agree with you post, and very well written, but I wanted to add that if they are not doing their job, they have bosses and the bosses have bosses. After all, you are paying their salary through your taxes. The very reason we have authorities and laws is so that people don't have to duke out their disagreements. Also, you can't rehome someone else's dog yourself, that has to be done under the auspices of the authorities. It does sound messed up that you can shoot a trespassing animal that is harming your animals, but you cannot rehome it, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Having a dog "at large" is typically a crime. If this keeps happening surely the owners would face some fines? I think you should keep reporting it, because they're definitely doing something wrong.

Also...you don't know what to do to avoid unwanted litters? Spay your females! You have to know that having bitches in heat just hanging out in the yard is going to be a come hither on a loud speaker to every intact male dog in the county. Even if this dog wasn't a problem you are definitely risking your dogs getting pregnant if you leave them unattended outside while in heat. Not only that, but it may help some of their fighting if you spay them. Intact sisters can be a lethal combination as you clearly know. How many dogs do you have anyway?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Also...you don't know what to do to avoid unwanted litters? Spay your females!
The choice of whether to spay or not is complicated. For instance, I have chose at least for now to not spay my female dog.
Yes, one needs to be vigilant and probably it would be better to have dogs in heat indoors and crated if necessary. Because this neighbor's dog is not the only one to worry about, there may be other neighborhood dogs and strays.

There is no way to keep multiple German shepherds inside, so I stay outside with them.
You can keep a number of dogs inside, in crates. The crates might be an expensive purchase, and it might be inconvenient, but you can do that. The crates can simply be folded away in the garage when not needed.

There is no question that the neighbor is wrong by allowing his dog to trespass. But given that other dogs/strays could also cause unwanted litters, you need to take some responsibility for protecting your dogs in heat. If you want to stay outdoors 24/7 for a few weeks, because that is what it would take, that is fine too. But just going inside for the time it would take to shower or eat is enough time for a stray to impregnate one of your dogs.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
If you know who the owner of the dog is, why don't you go talk to them? Some owners are simply clueless, maybe that's what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My dogs don't have poor temperament, they are from the same litter and will only fight with themselves. They are fine with other dogs and in the show ring, sometimes sisters just don't get along... Same as most intact male dogs

I don't spay my dogs since they are show dogs and breeding stock

They are outside supervised all day when in heat, at night they sleep in their own kennels... I don't think keeping them in their kennels all day is the way to go.

The owner of the dog just doesn't care and starts swearing at me.. I called him around 5 times now. I'm not to sure the laws for keeping a dog at large in ontario... I'll do some digging

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My dogs don't have poor temperament, they are from the same litter and will only fight with themselves. They are fine with other dogs and in the show ring, sometimes sisters just don't get along... Same as most intact male dogs

I don't spay my dogs since they are show dogs and breeding stock

They are outside supervised all day when in heat, at night they sleep in their own kennels... I don't think keeping them in their kennels all day is the way to go.

The owner of the dog just doesn't care and starts swearing at me.. I called him around 5 times now. I'm not to sure the laws for keeping a dog at large in ontario... I'll do some digging
I didn't think your dogs had poor temperaments but I know how sisters can be, and spaying can sometimes help. Also, you didn't mention these were show dogs/breeding stock. I just assumed you were someone with lots of dogs who didn't want to neuter them.

If they're like to fight when indoors together and they're not crated how do you have things set up? Like rotate them between being out and in crates or...? How many bitches do you have in all?

Heh, why don't you take the neighbor's dog next time he comes over and take him to get neutered. =P Not a serious suggestion but that would certainly take care of the problem! I do hope you find out something to do. Maybe confront the neighbor and have a cell phone record the conversation. If he gets belligerent you can send the recording to the police.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Build a large fenced in outdoor kennel/dog run. I'd say make your perimeter fence higher but a dog run will probably be cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts