Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a little while now I've been having some trouble with my bichon being sick every day, always around 6pm. It started a few months ago and was happening every few days or so but now it's progressed to being every night. We haven't changed his food at all but we've started taking him out for walks before he eats just in case he wasn't digesting properly but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. He is on some medication for a bladder problem but he's been on it before and we didn't have the same problem with him being sick so I'm not sure that could be the cause. Also, I don't know how relevant this is but it's worth a go - a few months ago we lost our other dog. Our current dog (with the sick problem) has never been an only dog as when we first brought him home we already had our other dog so they both grew up together. When she died our current dog did seem obviously quite miserable and became rather clingy to me and my family and I was wondering if the sickness could be a grieving behaviour? He is a bit of a strange dog anyway and seems to have weird habits so maybe he's just developed another strange habit?
Any advice would be very helpful!

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Is he throwing up food or bile?

Did you change how you feed him, was he free fed and now isn't, did he used to get a snack around midday but now isn't, anything like that?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If it's foamy or bile, it could be he's tummy is empty, you could try to give a little snack of wet food around this time to see. Does is correlate to the time you give the medication for the bladder issue? if so it could be taking the medication is irritating his stomach?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well he's fed around the same times each day and has more or less the same snacks. We've always fed him in the same bowl but since it's started happening we've tried feeding him in other ways such as putting his food in a kong to slow down his eating, feeding him after a walk instead of before etc but it doesn't stop him being sick. As it always happens around 6pm it's about 2 hours after he's had his dinner. We give him his medication in the morning and have recently reduced the dosage (as the vet said we could) but he never has trouble in the mornings. It's a different kind of vomiting than when he's ill - when he's had an upset stomach before he'll just throw up wherever but lately he will only be sick in the greenhouse which is strange. He'll cry until you go outside with him and he won't be sick unless you stand there with him. He'll also dog a hole first to be sick in and then cover it up after? This is also a recent behaviour which he's started. It's quite pale and foamy as wel

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Pale and foamy is usually bile and due to the stomach being empty, the vomiting is descriptively called hunger pukes.

My boy will have that happen around 6 am if I don't give him a small portion of food before bed. I think the reason my boy doesn't get them before dinner is because I portion his food out, and am continually giving him food throughout the day, his stomach doesn't have a chance to empty. I measure his food for the day then feed him around 1/4 of his food for breakfast, use another 1/4 or so for training throughout the day, feed most of what's left for dinner but save a bit for his before bed time snack. So, unlike at night, his stomach never completely empties.

Try giving your dog a small snack around 4 pm and see if that helps. ff he's still having a problem with throwing up after doing that for a week, I'd take him to the vet and see if something else is going on with him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't have thought he'd be too hungry, but seeing as he's a walking bin he may just Hphave a bottomless pit as a stomach. He's fed 2 meals a day, one in the morning and one late afternoon/early evening but he also has snacks throughout the day too which we haven't recently changed. I think it might be a job for the vets, don't think he'll appreciate that!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I wouldn't have thought he'd be too hungry, but seeing as he's a walking bin he may just Hphave a bottomless pit as a stomach. He's fed 2 meals a day, one in the morning and one late afternoon/early evening but he also has snacks throughout the day too which we haven't recently changed. I think it might be a job for the vets, don't think he'll appreciate that!
OK now I know it is not from an empty stomach I would suspect a meat intolerance. You may need to get a food that is only one meat like Zignature and go through the meats one at a time to see if there is a difference. My dog did the puking thing. After about a year of searching I found turkey Zignature no more stomach issues. I recommend you try a meat that your dog has never eaten. That was turkey for my dog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah that's a good idea actually! Will have to double check what kind of meat he's having and if it's the only one... I have a feeling it might be lamb so will give a different one a try :) thanks!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Ah that's a good idea actually! Will have to double check what kind of meat he's having and if it's the only one... I have a feeling it might be lamb so will give a different one a try :) thanks!
Just make sure and read all ingredients sometimes down the list will come chicken fat or fish oil even if the food is lamb. This is one of the bad limited ingredient foods
natural choice by nutro limited ingredients.
Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, Whole Grain Rolled Oats, Pea Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols),
Zignature
Lamb, Lamb Meal, Peas, Pea Flour, Pea Protein, Flaxseed, Chickpeas, Natural Flavors, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Citric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts