Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always been my dogs favorite person, he and I are super close and I love him dearly. A couple of hours ago he just started growling and snapping at me. He is not the friendliest dog with strangers and will growl at them but he has NEVER done that to me before. He will let other family members get close and when they pet them and acts fine around them but whenever I get even near him he will do the same thing growl snap and lunge. I have know idea what's wrong he seems healthy nothing looks hurt, I have know idea what to do. Its been going on for hours! Please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a vet appointment schedule today. I can't think of anything I did that hurt or frighten him. The weird thing is that he only growls at me (something like I said he has NEVER done before) but not other people I don't know what's going on!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Something could have frightened him and you were there, not that you did it. But in his doggy mind he's now linking you to scary thing. Something you didn't even realize. I took my dane out this morning and she started alarm barking and hair standing on her back. It took me a moment to see what had her riled up. The house next door had a small trailer in their driveway. It was the first time she's seen it there, thought things like that don't normally startle her. Dogs can be a little strange sometimes.

Reactions: Gilliandi and Rain

·
Registered
661 Posts
Something could have frightened him and you were there, not that you did it. But in his doggy mind he's now linking you to scary thing. Something you didn't even realize. I took my dane out this morning and she started alarm barking and hair standing on her back. It took me a moment to see what had her riled up. The house next door had a small trailer in their driveway. It was the first time she's seen it there, thought things like that don't normally startle her. Dogs can be a little strange sometimes.
My mastiff does this, but the difference is he gets over it very quickly, and he isn't frightened by these novel occurrences and I don't think it is startle either, I see it as natural guarding behavior towards an unfamiliar potential threat. Basically, he is doing his job.

What the OP is describing is very different, it is a sudden fear of someone they know and have never shown fear to before.

I think it warrants a trip to the vet, I would request a complete thyroid antibody panel.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My mastiff does this, but the difference is he gets over it very quickly, and he isn't frightened by these novel occurrences and I don't think it is startle either, I see it as natural guarding behavior towards an unfamiliar potential threat. Basically, he is doing his job.

What the OP is describing is very different, it is a sudden fear of someone they know and have never shown fear to before.

I think it warrants a trip to the vet, I would request a complete thyroid antibody panel.
Yes it is different. My point was sometimes dogs get started or frightened by something and it's something you would have never thought of. Or something you didn't realize happened. I agree with the vet visit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.