Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Jack 2.5 weeks ago. He's 1 year, lab mix, weighs 72lbs and is pretty mellow. He was a stray when he was found. He obeys perfectly while inside - it's my kingdom - but only occasionally outside - it's his stray kingdom.

We have a typical 4' city fence and a decent-sized backyard, toys. My wife stays at home and can play with him during the day.

Yesterday, he realized that he can jump the fence. I thought I found the weak place and reinforced it, but he just jumped over another section. Fortunately, we have friendly neighbors.

What can I do to keep him in the yard? My brother was having the same issue and built a 7' privacy fence - his dogs would still Jackie Chan their way over to freedom. "It was the most expensive non-solution we tried."

I'm thinking of a sportDOG shock collar, but I'm not sure that using it as punishment rather than negative reinforcement will do anything.

It is not possible to keep an eye on him at all times.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
He needs more exercise. A tired dog is a well behaved dog. Is he neutered? Also do you take him for walks?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We take him for a walk in the morning and in the evening. Maybe extend the walking distance? It's tough right know because he recently started limping a bit from what we think is a sprain in his paw. He is neutered.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Ditto the more exercise suggestion. A young lab mix like he is, needs a good 30 to 60 minute run several days a week. If you can take him somewhere he can run off-leash that is best. Otherwise you can just walk with him for an hour. He needs to explore and sniff and be a dog. He's bored. That's partly why he's jumping the fence, looking for something to do and places to explore.

A taller fence too! Sorry to say that, but now that he knows he can jump the fence, he will get better at it. An electric collar may cause all sorts of side effects that you won't like, such as fearfulness and/or aggression. They are very touchy tools to use and really should be used by someone who is expert, if at all. This is not a problem for an e-collar anyway. (I speak from some experience with this... as I've done a bit of e-collar work with my hunting dogs, under the direction of a couple of trainers.)

Anyway, yeah, exercise and mental stimulation, and don't put him out in the yard without keeping an eye on him until you build up that fence! Its a rare labrador that would go over a 6 foot fence, so don't let your friend's experience make up your mind for you...

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
It's good your taking him for walks but yes maybe up the distance, and if that's not always possible if he likes toys you could get a flirt pole or make your own. Those are a great tool to get your dog the exercise they need without wearing yourself out to much in the process. Here's a link to how to make your own or they have them in the pet stores. How to Build a Flirt Pole | eHow.com One more thing that you could try is getting him some puzzle toys, that will help wear him out mentally which is also very important. Here's an link so you see what I'm talking about http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=puzzle+toys+for+dogs&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17957114836192208279&sa=X&ei=LEGKTauuK4mgsQO-4sWLDA&ved=0CE4Q8wIwBA#

Now before you start any of that I would have him get checked out by a vet to make sure it's just sprain that is causing him to limp and not something a bit more serious. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts