Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Jobs Out There!

4K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  GreatDaneMom 
#1 ·
Hi!

I am getting to the stage in life where I want to know what I want my career to be. I want it to be focused on animals, and more specifically dogs(or horses) . If it wouldn't be too much trouble could you please list some jobs that include working with dogs or some links to websites that include info about some doggie jobs. Also, if there are some horsey people out there could you do the same for horses? Thanks sooo much!

Dobergirl

#2 ·
Dogs:
Trainer, groomer, vet, pet sitter, doggie daycare, etc..

Horses:
Trainer, boarding stable worker, vet, exercise rider, show groom, etc..

I've done all of these. (Well, I'm not a vet but I've worked at vets).

#6 ·
Well, I don't know about dog jobs, but I do know about horse jobs! I'm actually going to be 'breaking into' the horse job/training market in the next year or two :)

Horse Trainer
Human Trainer (give kids lessons)
Barn Manager
Vet
Horse Nutritionist (these people are INVALUBLE!!!)
Horse Chiropractor (I'm still looking for a good one)
Horse Dentist
Barefoot Trimmer
Horse Acupuncturist
etc...

I don't know if you'd even be interested in HALF of that but I personally believe that a good nutritionist, chiropractor, and trimmer are the most invaluble people ever. Even over my vet. My parents think I'm crazy, but whatever :) My horses are happy, healthy and move amazingly (well, Toby will once I can get enough money together for the amazingly expensive chiropractor) :)

#7 · (Edited)
the biggest thing is going to be starting small and working your way up. a lot of the animal fields are like this (aside from like, vets- even so working at an office as a receptionist is a good start) youre going to have to start with the poo-poo jobs. with horses, i started out as a groom. cleaning stalls, feeding, haying, etc. then in a few years when i gained a good grasp on everything i started training and owning, and i breed too. small scale though, i only have one really nice broodmare that we used to race. it pays off, i have a filly that just qualified for the NY sire stakes.

with dogs, i started off in dog daycare. which is really kind of backwards because they tend to be the lowest payed and most hard working at a facility, though a good daycare worker is the most valuable to me. as i worked i apprenticed as a trainer and became the kennel supervisor. after working at different daycares and a shelter i now manage a dog daycare, am a trainer and a nutrition consultant. i have also had my own business making dog treats, which unfortunately took a collapse when the economy went to hell. but hopefully i can get back into that soon. im hoping to open my own facility in a few years.

basically what i am getting at is it takes time. a lot of time. there is schooling you can do, but the hands on experience is the most valuable thing you will have. im planning on getting certified for canine and equine massage therapy this year once i have some extra money. my biggest thing is having myself well rounded. i want to be able to do anything i need to, i dont want to be limited. also taking the time to work your way up is a great way to see what kinds of things are in high demand, what people are looking for. people may not be looking for someone to help with their dogs diet as much as they are looking for someone to sell them tastely looking treats, BUT being able to make these treats and SELL them by being able to say they are healthy and WHY they are healthy, is going to be more valuable for you.:) hope this helps a little.

#8 ·
I don't know how old you are, but have you thought about getting an animal related job right now (if you are a teen or older)? I'm 19 and started working at a doggie daycare last year, where they hire high school and college students for part time (and full time) work. I know a number of people who have animal related part time jobs, internships, or even just volunteer.
If you are too young to get a job yet, maybe you can volunteer at a rescue or shelter. You can start trying things out to try to see what you like to do and get experience to put on resumes and applications in the future.

#11 ·
Dobergirl I thought you were like, 20!

I'm a dog groomer. Best job in the world, and you can get into it young! There are lots of Young Kennel Club handler and groomer competitions; contact the grooming association if you think this sounds appealing.

I love grooming and started at the bottom; training in a local salon for free. I got hands on experience and after about a year of training I was taken on part time. I already groomed my own dogs for show so I had a handle on most aspects of grooming anyway, but definately needed training for things like handling difficult dogs, etc.

Have you thought about handling? A lot of young handlers at show these days and though it can be bitchy, it seems like a fun hobby. I love handling and showing, so if you have a decent dog that's trainable and think it seems like a good idea, definately go for it. Doesn't have to be at big shows either, check out Fosse Data: Championship Dog Show Schedules, Results and Information for lots of Open shows that only cost about a tenner to enter and are usually not too far away. Check out local ringcraft classes to practise.

#12 ·
Haha, what made you think I'm twenty?

Grooming is not really my forte. I don't have a trainable dog either. What do you need to have to be a dog trainer/behaviourist? I think I'm going to have to be stuck doing some boring humany job because I don't think I can ever get enough experience to get a dog realted job.

#14 ·
Haha, what made you think I'm twenty?

Grooming is not really my forte. I don't have a trainable dog either. What do you need to have to be a dog trainer/behaviourist? I think I'm going to have to be stuck doing some boring humany job because I don't think I can ever get enough experience to get a dog realted job.
this is not true. starting early and explaining your goals at a job interview can help you land the job even if you dont have the experience. a lot of people will hire with no experience. cleaning kennels, vet receptionist, etc. are positions that you can get without experience. what i deal with, when i hire though, i need experience. i cant throw someone with no experience in a group of 30+ dogs and expect them to handle that. but lower scale dog daycares or chain ones (like bow wow) do hire with no experience. you just have to start with the crappy jobs as sad as it sounds.

and #1 rule when you have an interview, if they ask "why do you want this position?" or "why do you want to work in dog daycare" DONT say "because i love dogs".... thats an immediate dismissal for me. you can love dogs as much as you want, but unless there is more reason, you wont be cut out for the job IMHO.

#13 ·
You can use grammar and punctuation. I know many twenty year olds that can't even do that!

At 13 you'll be coming up to work experience at school, probably when you're fifteen. This will be a good chance to look into dog related jobs. Other than that, I would just read read read and research training. If you just love dogs then I don't see why you couldn't be a dog walking extraordinaire in the making, but right now just enjoy your teens and remember that most people don't know their careers until they're on average 26, so try not to worry. :)

#24 · (Edited)
look to what tulip said as far as grooming goes. in my field (daycare/training) you have to have a lot of patients, a vast knowledge of dogs, calm and confident demeanor, attention to detail, physical ability, etc. its not "sitting and playing with dogs all day". YOU are the one who has to save dogs during fights. it weighs heavy on me if i have a dog get injured in my care. not only that but i have been bitten a few times, once it put me in the hospital. you have to be able to tolerate these things without holding grudges, or becoming scared of what you do.

What would you like as an answer to this question?
truthfully, i like to hear about the passion for dogs that you have. not just "i love doggies and theyre so cute. i love every dog!" i want to hear what you strive for, what you want to become, goals, etc. you can love your dog at home, you can love dogs you see, etc. youre probably not going to be able to handle the st. bernard charging across the yard to jump on a lab because the lab ticked it off, or the dog who just decided he hated another dog for no reason and cant even stand to be within eyesight of him....
if you have no real aspirations to become anything in the dog world, i dont really care to hire you as you probably arent going to be willing to expand your knowledge and work as hard as the person who wants to potentially open their own rescue one day or their own daycare.
i have a question that i ask during an interview. "what is your most favorite and leas favorite breeds?" many people jump and say "pit bulls" for their favorite breed because they think its what we want to hear. its funny because many of those people go in the back for a daycare test with me and see a pit and freeze or avoid it.... i laugh... hmmm i thought you said you like pits?
GreatDaneMom, tell me about it, don't think they have any idea that the cute, well-behaved dogs, where you get to do a nice breed standard trim without any trouble at all, are the very rare cases!
yep, almost every groom dog has at least 1 quirk that has to be worked around when grooming them.

Having a career you love can make all the difference in your life and those around you, and your dogs. Truly happy people are a joy to be around.
ill tell you what, im a very happy person with my career. and that being said, when i come home to my dogs, it makes me love them that much more because i can see how mentally stable they are and how well behaved they are.

#20 ·
When I was in high school, there was a program called the "Explorers Program." You could sign up to visit different workplaces in your field of interest. At that time, I wanted to be a vet. I went to numerous clinics (all at night). We watched a dental cleaning, interviewed some vets, etc. I actually had the opportunity to assist in the spaying of a rescue dog. Removing an ovary was an interesting experience to say the least. I enjoyed the program very much. Maybe contact some schools and see if they have a program like that, or even try contacting the businesses directly.

#22 ·
I would aim a bit lower than the vets as they're quite specific, but I'm sure a rescue centre would love the extra help, or kennels. Local boarding kennels would be a good place to start, perhaps?

GreatDaneMom, tell me about it, don't think they have any idea that the cute, well-behaved dogs, where you get to do a nice breed standard trim without any trouble at all, are the very rare cases!

Why would you want to be a dog groomer if you didn't love dogs? Well you wouldn't. But the love of dogs isn't enough. You have to have patience, artistic flaire, confidence with dogs that want to rip your face off, good husbandry, and a lot of determination. It's so much more than spending all day with dogs cuddling them and having fun, the majority of my time when I'm not clipping/styling/de-matting/hand-stripping etc., I'm cleaning up poop or vomit, or trying to keep my limbs in tact from a frightened Lhasa, or convincing and owner to let me clip off their three year old Bichon that's never been brushed before.
Never the less, I love grooming. I come home completely exhausted, aching from standing up working for eight hours without a break, and with very little money because what doesn't go on rent and food is spent on new scissors, etc. But it's the best job in the world and I love it. Never had so much job satisfaction from seeing owners enjoying their pet's new style, or kissing the old, scared Westies to let them know it's ok. I also love my clients, mostly! We were out yesterday with one of my dogs and I ran into three of my Schnauzer clients at once, we talked like friends. People love their dogs and it's great to work in a job where you can feed off that.

Sorry for the essay!

#23 ·
But it's the best job in the world and I love it.
You are among the most fortunate of people: those who truly love what they do.
And for the OP: I very much hope that you will find such a job, one that makes you happy every day.
Remember though that there can always be a couple of thorns in the roses, and that along the way, there may be challenges. Those in customer service can tell you that although many people are honest and easy to get along with, there are some real backstabbing, can't-be-satisfied witches out there. One might turn up as a customer in any field you choose. When you see one of those, just promise yourself a bubble bath or box of chocolates at the end of the day, and treat them the same way you would treat a stomach virus: keep your thoughts elsewhere and hope it is over soon.

Having a career you love can make all the difference in your life and those around you, and your dogs. Truly happy people are a joy to be around.

#29 ·
thanks guys. i appreciate that.

yeah after the fight that put me in the hospital my mother wanted me to quit my job. she always worries "what if it was your face or something, or your neck!?" but i cant think about those things. i worked racing my horses that night when i left the hospital. my punctures kept bleeding and the vet at the track had to keep rewrapping my arm for me. and i went back to work at the daycare the next day, even though they offered me a week paid off. i just couldnt stand not being there and being able to control everything. ive only taken 2 days off in 2 yrs and even at that, i called and was in contact with the facility all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.