Dog Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I would aim a bit lower than the vets as they're quite specific, but I'm sure a rescue centre would love the extra help, or kennels. Local boarding kennels would be a good place to start, perhaps?

GreatDaneMom, tell me about it, don't think they have any idea that the cute, well-behaved dogs, where you get to do a nice breed standard trim without any trouble at all, are the very rare cases!

Why would you want to be a dog groomer if you didn't love dogs? Well you wouldn't. But the love of dogs isn't enough. You have to have patience, artistic flaire, confidence with dogs that want to rip your face off, good husbandry, and a lot of determination. It's so much more than spending all day with dogs cuddling them and having fun, the majority of my time when I'm not clipping/styling/de-matting/hand-stripping etc., I'm cleaning up poop or vomit, or trying to keep my limbs in tact from a frightened Lhasa, or convincing and owner to let me clip off their three year old Bichon that's never been brushed before.
Never the less, I love grooming. I come home completely exhausted, aching from standing up working for eight hours without a break, and with very little money because what doesn't go on rent and food is spent on new scissors, etc. But it's the best job in the world and I love it. Never had so much job satisfaction from seeing owners enjoying their pet's new style, or kissing the old, scared Westies to let them know it's ok. I also love my clients, mostly! We were out yesterday with one of my dogs and I ran into three of my Schnauzer clients at once, we talked like friends. People love their dogs and it's great to work in a job where you can feed off that.

Sorry for the essay!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
But it's the best job in the world and I love it.
You are among the most fortunate of people: those who truly love what they do.
And for the OP: I very much hope that you will find such a job, one that makes you happy every day.
Remember though that there can always be a couple of thorns in the roses, and that along the way, there may be challenges. Those in customer service can tell you that although many people are honest and easy to get along with, there are some real backstabbing, can't-be-satisfied witches out there. One might turn up as a customer in any field you choose. When you see one of those, just promise yourself a bubble bath or box of chocolates at the end of the day, and treat them the same way you would treat a stomach virus: keep your thoughts elsewhere and hope it is over soon.

Having a career you love can make all the difference in your life and those around you, and your dogs. Truly happy people are a joy to be around.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Why else would you want to be a dog groomer? or work with dogs in general? If you don't mind me asking.
look to what tulip said as far as grooming goes. in my field (daycare/training) you have to have a lot of patients, a vast knowledge of dogs, calm and confident demeanor, attention to detail, physical ability, etc. its not "sitting and playing with dogs all day". YOU are the one who has to save dogs during fights. it weighs heavy on me if i have a dog get injured in my care. not only that but i have been bitten a few times, once it put me in the hospital. you have to be able to tolerate these things without holding grudges, or becoming scared of what you do.

What would you like as an answer to this question?
truthfully, i like to hear about the passion for dogs that you have. not just "i love doggies and theyre so cute. i love every dog!" i want to hear what you strive for, what you want to become, goals, etc. you can love your dog at home, you can love dogs you see, etc. youre probably not going to be able to handle the st. bernard charging across the yard to jump on a lab because the lab ticked it off, or the dog who just decided he hated another dog for no reason and cant even stand to be within eyesight of him....
if you have no real aspirations to become anything in the dog world, i dont really care to hire you as you probably arent going to be willing to expand your knowledge and work as hard as the person who wants to potentially open their own rescue one day or their own daycare.
i have a question that i ask during an interview. "what is your most favorite and leas favorite breeds?" many people jump and say "pit bulls" for their favorite breed because they think its what we want to hear. its funny because many of those people go in the back for a daycare test with me and see a pit and freeze or avoid it.... i laugh... hmmm i thought you said you like pits?
GreatDaneMom, tell me about it, don't think they have any idea that the cute, well-behaved dogs, where you get to do a nice breed standard trim without any trouble at all, are the very rare cases!
yep, almost every groom dog has at least 1 quirk that has to be worked around when grooming them.

Having a career you love can make all the difference in your life and those around you, and your dogs. Truly happy people are a joy to be around.
ill tell you what, im a very happy person with my career. and that being said, when i come home to my dogs, it makes me love them that much more because i can see how mentally stable they are and how well behaved they are.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
YOU are the one who has to save dogs during fights. youre probably not going to be able to handle the st. bernard charging across the yard to jump on a lab because the lab ticked it off, or the dog who just decided he hated another dog for no reason and cant even stand to be within eyesight of him....
how do you stop these things when they do happen?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
how do you stop these things when they do happen?
it depends on the circumstances. if its a fight, i dont have time to waste and my ass is in the middle of it pulling dogs apart and yelling to my coworkers to put X dog in time out and X dog in another one. i take the brunt of every fight because not only is it in our hands of the dogs get hurt, but its on my butt if my staff gets hurt. it does happen, and its understood, but i would rather be the one to get hurt than to have my staff get hurt.

the fight that happened where i was put in the hospital, i had a dog hanging off my right arm doing the death shake while another dog bit my left hand. i still continued to scream out orders to my staff. 0 dogs hurt, 0 of my staff hurt. just me..... that was all the validation i needed to know that i did what i had to do and i did it right. i couldnt help the dog who turned on me, no one ever expected that out of him nor was he even involved to begin with. the other dog who bit my hand did it out of self defense when he was on the ground and another dog came at him and i blocked the dog. he didnt mean to.

as far as the other stuff, usually a body block will stop a dog charging across the yard, or the hose sprayed on them, sometimes just calling them. depends on the dog. as far as dogs who cant tollerate the sight of each other, they are just not permitted to be together.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
thanks guys. i appreciate that.

yeah after the fight that put me in the hospital my mother wanted me to quit my job. she always worries "what if it was your face or something, or your neck!?" but i cant think about those things. i worked racing my horses that night when i left the hospital. my punctures kept bleeding and the vet at the track had to keep rewrapping my arm for me. and i went back to work at the daycare the next day, even though they offered me a week paid off. i just couldnt stand not being there and being able to control everything. ive only taken 2 days off in 2 yrs and even at that, i called and was in contact with the facility all day long.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts