Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guy is a one-year-old Havapoo (Havanese/toy poodle) and is usually well behaved, especially when I am around. We keep him in a playpen when we are not home, and generally he just sleeps and hangs around peacefully until we get home.

Recently, a toy that he has had since he was 11 weeks old, a stuffed octopus, saw its last day. We sewed him up a dozen times, but my guy finally started to EAT parts of him and it would get stuck in his rearend. So, it was time to get rid of him.

We got rid of Octopus when the little guy wasn't around and he has been searching for him. Here is the problem: When we leave him in his playpen now, he acts out, destroying things and flipping his bowls. He's clearly upset about the absence of his best friend. Does anyone know what to do about this? We are trying to get him to find a new best friend amongst his toys, but nothing has taken yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish I could help you, but alas, we have the same problem with my Hav. He's had the toy for ages now, and while he doesn't tear it apart, the thing is made of a material that has proven very good at cleaning the gunk from his teeth, so over the years, even when we wash it, it has become the dirtiest thing in our house. We tried throwing it out a couple years back, but he stayed at the garbage can all night long crying, so we eventually took it out, washed it, and gave it back to him. Since that toy came along, he hasn't touched another.

My advice? Try buying him a new toy of the same/similar material and try getting him interested in that.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Yes, find out what he likes about that toy and get him a new one with the same features: a squeaker, dangly-parts, imitation sheepskin, whatever floats his boat.

Its very important that you get him a new one, as the novelty factor will be a big draw. When I sit dogs I actually bring my own toys because they are 10x more interested in my 'new' toys than they are with their old ones, even when the owner swears up and down that they never go anywhere without 'their' toy. And oddly enough... octopi are apparently a popular theme for dog toys! Toby has two different ones. I'd recommend the Kong Wubba line; they are fairly durable and have four of those flappy 'legs' that dogs are nuts for.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My pup has a favorite stuffy, too! Have you tried Amazon for "octopus dog toy"? You may be able to find the exact toy. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts