Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Are the stairs slippery or has the dog slipped there? Some people use boots on the dog or dip its paws in coca cola or other sugary beverage to make them sticky.

Can you carry the dog downstairs together, maybe use a sheet too? What would the dog do if carried to the second last step from downstairs?

Her vision and back problems might be an issue here. Not seeing well and having a wobbly back end might make her insecure about entering apparently dangerous spaces. She is also quite old so she might have stiff joints or so that might hurt in stairs or so.

I have also noticed that if I try to lure or trick a dog into a scary place, they will resist even more. Like they knew the treat dangled in front of them and sweet talks are only tricks to get them to the stairs etc.

I have trained one dog to tolerate stairs but he was fully healthy and his fear was mild. He was also small so I could pick him up. I let him explore the corridor and get adjusted there. I tried placing treats on the steps but he did not go near them. I placed him a step away from the level I wanted him to go and supported him so he would not fall. At first he shaked wildly and was very scared. Then he realised he was not falling and he had hand supporting him. When he could climb/descend this one step, next time I placed him a step further away from the destination. After surviving three or four steps he realised he can walk the stairs without falling or slipping and started to walk all of them.

What about some form of clicker training? Well, a deaf dog cannot hear a click so you'll need something visual like a flashing light. Condition that flash = treat and then let the dog explore the staircase on loose leash. Every time she takes a step towards the stairs, looks at them, or shows any interest towards them, you flash and treat. Then slowly narrow down the criteria that produces a reward. Now the dog only gets a treat if she goes near enough, then for stepping down one step and so.

How far does your mom live and why is the dog visiting you? Would it be possible that you take the dog back to her home and care for her there? Few weeks is a short time and she is quite old so fear of stairs and rigorous training might stress her too much.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.