Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
267 Posts
Bless her heart. My 12 year old big mix breed dog is finding just the few steps on my front porch more and more difficult to navigate recently. He can go down but has a hard time coming back up. I try to help give his back end a boost, but he doesn't really care for that and growls and let's me know it hurts. He's 100+ pounds of dog, so there's no way I can pick him up completely, and I'm not going to hurt him and provoke him lashing out at me (he's a sweetie and would rather do anything than bite me, but pain can make even the most tolerant dog snap).

My thoughts are there are three things that could get her down those stairs:
1. She'll eventually have to go potty badly enough that she will go down (unless she decides going on the patio/pee pads is preferable).
2. Perhaps asking the vet about some meds, both for any pain she might be in and something calming to ease her anxiety about the stairs so that she will navigate them.
3. If there is anything she absolutely LOVES (food, toy, another dog, your mom), perhaps she can be lured down.

I'd contact the vet first to see what he/she suggests. If meds can be given, hopefully those in combination with needing to go potty and being tempted by something of high value will get her down. And once she's down, I'd try to make arrangements for her to stay somewhere that doesn't require many stairs while your mom visits. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.