Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here's my situation. I'm in a tough situation here with my dog and in need some some ideas.

My mom brought her dog here for a 2-3 week visit with me in my apartment. The dog is a 13 year old German Shepherd. She is deaf, we think she may be partially blind, and she has early symptoms of degenerative myelopathy. However, she is still walking around a happy dog.

The dog is terrified of going up and down the stairs. She won't go anywhere near them. We can't get her outside to do her business. I live on the third floor and there's no elevator. The dog is too heavy for either of us to carry up and down the stairs safely. (She's a healthy weight for her size, just a large shepherd) We tried a harness to give her more support, but she won't do it. We tried walking down in front of her, to make them look less scary. She will only go 1 down one step, then just stands there and eventually backs up. We tried putting her in a doggy swim life vest, but we couldn't pick her up in that either.

The dog is only trained to do her business outside. So we put a bunch of wee wee pads on the balcony, hoping that would give her a place to go, but she doesn't understand. I took her to the pads every 30 minutes today on a leash, trying to make it seem more like the going outside routine. But it's not working. I tried this spray at Petco that was intended to use on the pads to attract them to "go", no use. For an old dog, she has a bladder of steel and just wont go. But we can't get her down the stairs. She's been to the vet recently, so we don't think there's any new things that could be going on. She just never had to go up and down such a long staircase before. Plus the stairs don't have the panels on the vertical sides. It's literally just the steps... even I find them intimidating to go up and down and have to see the height below me.

Any ideas? Thank you!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.