Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Caytie, and i have a 4 year old lab Shepard akita mix (???) named Charlie! Charlie is a really great dog, but he's been having some trouble lately. I know this is gross, but the amount he has been pooping, is way less then usual. he goes twice a day, but the amount of poop he is producing is less. He isn't acting unusual, and doesn't seem to be in any pain while going. Now here is why i'm worried. the way i see it, there are two options.

option A. We have recently started adding a wet food to his diet. because there are better ingredients, and less fillers, he would have a decrease in poop.

option B. I recently took a new job, and the hours are a bit ridiculous. He has started developing a destructive habit. he chews bags, boxes, he tries to get into food that isn't his. he pulls things off the counter. we have started putting him in his kennel while i am gone, and before my roommate gets home, but the damage might have already been done. he has eaten the pocket off one of my light hoodies, and shredded a pair of panties. my concern is that he may have swallowed more then he can pass and might have a blockage. BUT he is eating normally, and CAN poop, its just less then the usual amount.

the unfortunate thing is all three of these occurrences are happening at once. I haven't been to the vet yet, charlie hates the vet and if i had him x-rayed, it would be so much money because he probably wouldn't hold still, and i would like to avoid spending money on me panicking over nothing.

He has been getting the Kirkland brand Turkey and salmon dry food for about 2 months, and we just recently started adding the Turkey and pea stew wet to his food. He gets salmon oil pills for his coat as well. but other then that, nothing has changed. Just the addition of the wet food, and his newfound love for destruction and shredding things.

Your thoughts would be so appreciated, so i dont lose my mind with worry!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I would take him to the vet. A partial blockage could shift at any moment, become a full blockage and then you'll have a dying dog on your hands.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It sounds like the change in food was a good thing. He is digesting more of the food and has less waste. He is still going twice a day which it what a healthy dog does. the less is a good thing means more of the money you spend on food is staying inside your dog instead of being wasted on your lawn.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It sounds like the change in food was a good thing. He is digesting more of the food and has less waste. He is still going twice a day which it what a healthy dog does. the less is a good thing means more of the money you spend on food is staying inside your dog instead of being wasted on your lawn.
I agree, less poo is a good thing. Still going twice daily is fine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts