Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Daisy is a lab and she's around 9 years old. Recently she's developed cataracts and has been slowing down a bit, and we think she's totally blind at this point. She had, however, been her usual cheerful self until today.

This morning I woke up and she was standing in the center of the living room, panting. My mom said she'd been there for about an hour and she wouldn't lay down. I was worried so I brought her a bowl of water, which she refused. I then led her onto the couch (since she's gone blind we help direct her places by snapping our fingers in front of her face for her to follow). She got up on the couch and hesitated at first but then she did lay down. She stayed there for a couple of minutes but then started groaning and sat up, panting again. Since then she's been back and forth, laying down and then groaning and sitting back up. However, she's been laying for about ten minutes as of right now and hasn't groaned but she is hanging her head and front paws off the couch and panting.

The past couple of weeks she has stopped opening her eyes and had a sort of white watery discharge from them on occasion. I have expressed my concern to my mom but she hasn't found it necessary to take her to the vet, and on top of that she's been very busy so I guess she feels that she doesn't have time. I'm only 17 and don't have a car or much money so I can't take her myself. However, today I'm really concerned as she seems to be in pain. Google has told me that the symptoms could point to anything from arthritis or indigestion to a serious infection, cancer, bloat, etc.

Daisy has just gotten down off the couch and she's standing there with her eyes closed, panting. My mom doesn't get home from work for 5 more hours and I am going away for the weekend this evening. I'm concerned that I won't be able to convince my mom that she does have the time to take Daisy to the vet because it is an emergency.

If you've had any similar experiences or can just give me a decent guess what could be going on, I'd really appreciate it. I know something's seriously not right with Daisy and it's killing me to not be able to do anything about it. Anything I could do to make her more comfortable in the meantime before trying to convince my mom to go to the vet would also help a ton. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Oh my gosh. I can only say that Daisy needs to see a vet. My biggest worry would be bloat but it's impossible for any of us to diagnosis. Call your vet and tell them the symptoms. Maybe they can tell you something that will help convince your Mom that Daisy needs to be seen today, ASAP. I hope whatever is going on is nothing serious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh. I can only say that Daisy needs to see a vet. My biggest worry would be bloat but it's impossible for any of us to diagnosis. Call your vet and tell them the symptoms. Maybe they can tell you something that will help convince your Mom that Daisy needs to be seen today, ASAP. I hope whatever is going on is nothing serious.
Thanks for the reply, hopefully your concern will help me convince my mom. She's brushed it off as no big deal but I think that's a mistake. Daisy is laying down sleeping now, for the first time today. I've just texted my mom again telling her that I researched and I think it's serious. Hopefully she'll agree now. She loves her dogs and definitely doesn't mean any harm but she's been really busy and distracted, I think she just hasn't noticed much of a change in Daisy like I have from being home all day.

If I am able to convince my mom then we'll most likely be bringing her in around 3 (it's 12:10 now in my timezone). Luckily our vet is usually great about emergency appointments. Crossing my fingers that it's nothing serious

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Please keep us updated. I'll keep you and Daisy in my thoughts. Fingers and toes crossed here that nothing serious is going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some semi-good news, I talked to my mom and we agreed to bring her to the vet. The earliest they could get us in is 5:00. Daisy has been sleeping on the floor for a while now which is an improvement from this morning. The receptionist at the vet's office seemed concerned but they're really busy today. I will let you know what happens at the vet later, hopefully it will be good news :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Fingers crossed for you and Daisy.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Keeping fingers and toes crossed. I'm so glad your Mom agreed to take her in. Even if it turns out it's not serious, those symptoms are worrisome enough to get Daisy checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Daisy is fine. I didn't go to the vet with them because I already left to go out of state but I talked to my mom. She took a big poop (nice, right?) and then seemed to have a lot less discomfort and was able to lay down and sleep. When they went to the vet, she was examined thoroughly and they didn't find anything worrisome. She has a slight eye infection which they perscribed eyedrops for (explains why she stopped opening her eyes and they were leaking discharge). She got an updated rabies shot and happily wagged her tail all the way home. From what my mom said, she seems back to her old self. She gave her the first dose of drops and now her eyes are staying open.

Thanks for all your concerns, and I'm so grateful that Daisy is okay :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm so glad there was nothing serious going on. :) It's always scary when we don't know what's wrong. Good for you and your Mom for getting her in to see the Vet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I didn't post but have been reading this thread and was worried. So glad you got her to the vet and there was nothing serious going on. Maybe just a little intensinal discomfort remedied by a big ol' poop? Good you're getting the eye infection taken care of too. Happy for you that everything worked out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm very glad Daisy is doing better! I felt prompted to write as I once had a lab some years ago, and your mentioning that Daisy felt better after a 'big poop' reminded me of my old Gunny's problems in that area, and at about that age or thereabouts; that being a condition called megacolon, or simply, constipation. If Daisy shows ANY signs of having difficulty from here on out in that area, add a small amount of laxative (eg: Metamucil powder) or mineral oil to her food. Don't use too much, as then you'll have the opposite problem, too soft stools, which then might result in anal gland problems, since firmer stools help express those glands when they go out to do their business.

It's a balancing act, but at Daisy's advanced age, something to keep an eye out for. Hugs to you and Daisy! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts