Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently adopted a 7-yr-old female miniature Dachshund named Scarlet from a woman who used her as a breeder dog. She went into heat just before we brought her home, so that may be complicating/contributing to her behaviors in her new home.

My husband works all day, and I stay at home with Scarlet. She follows me everywhere and is very attached to me. Until now she has been fine around my husband, sitting with him in the evenings when I go to bed and going outside with him to go potty with no problem.

This weekend, my husband's parents came over and met Scarlet for the first time. She was very friendly with them immediately and especially loved my mother-in-law, whom she shadowed and sat with all weekend. My husband was doing work around the house all day, going in and out. He approached my mother-in-law and Scarlet sitting on the couch together, and Scarlet growled and snapped at him. Then this afternoon when she and I were sitting together on the couch, she did the same thing again several times. I had him start dropping treats to her every time he walked by, which helped, but she still seems touchy. She will sometimes hunker behind me as he passes and growl.

Does anyone know why she would suddenly take to guarding me like this? Any suggestions on how we can fix this behavior? Thanks!

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
you are definitely on the right track with having him drop treats ;) there are lots of reasons for it... sounds like a resource guarding situation:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-behavior/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/

which is basically caused by the dog being insecure. all the excitement of having strangers in the house is pretty stressful for a dog, (even when they have a good time) so it is likely that the stress is exacerbating her insecurity... keep up with the treats, (make sure you account for it in her diet!) you may want to make your husband her primary feeder and bringer of good things as well...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.