Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three days ago my puppy started submissive peeing every time my boyfriend started calling it to come. My boyfriend thought the puppy was being bad and started correcting him every time he did submissive pee. The punishments became harsher and harsher and this happen four times that same day. After some research we both understand that this was wrong of us but it seems too late. My happy puppy now is very sad, afraid and submissive, he does not want to play, eat treats when offered, even come when called. He sits in a corner like he is punished and sleeps all day. When we go to pet him he starts crying in a high pitched voice. It has not been about three days and we are both worried and want our lively puppy back. How do we overcome this and get him to not be afraid anymore?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Give him time to recover. Do not pressure him or call him or pet him or even look in his eyes. Sit on the floor and watch tv or read and toss him treats. Let him initiate all contact. Be extremely gentle and soft spoken. Be careful with your body not to stoop over him or reach for him.

It is going to take time to repair the damage. Have patience. This may take a couple of weeks.

Promise him you will never frighten him again. This dog should never be corrected. He is too sensitive for any sort of punishment, even a stern voice is too much.

Learn how to train him using clicker training. Check out kikopup on u tube to learn how. This technique will bring your happy puppy back.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Ps. Are you sure the puppy is not possibly injured? Does he eat his meals and is he peeing and pooping like normal?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think he is hurt but he does move a lot slower, he did kind of stop eating but he will eat when I am hand feeding him. This morning I added wet food to his dry food and he ate the whole thing. He however goes and drinks water on his own. He does come, sit, give paw, and speak but only after begging him about 10 times. I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hand feeding is really good. You have to regain his trust that has been shattered.

Does he run around outside? Will he play with a toy?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Begging him and coaxing is actually putting a lot of pressure on him and can increase his anxiety. This is a case where doing less is better. Happy talk around him is good, much better than concerned sounding talk.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to keep him on his schedule. Everyday we used to go to the leash free dog park. Before this happened he used to run around, play with the other dogs. Yesterday we went and he just stood there. He does not play outside or with his toys any more but just sleeps if he is left alone.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
How old is pup? What breed(s)?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.5 months and German Sheppard. He was so active before this all happend except he hated going for walks. But yesterday after the dog park he went for a walk with me with no problem.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
With that news that he will not play at the park I am concerned that he is hurt or sick. Perhaps a vet check up is in order?

What did bf do as corrections?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in three days he has become a totally different dog and I am so afraid that he is not going to bounce back. He spends the day with my boyfriend and they used to be the best of friends before this happened. Now he does not even want to look at both of us and I was not even home when the whole thing happened

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
So what did BF say happened?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After the dog submissive peed he scolded the dog and took him into the bath tub to wash him off. He said in the bath tub the dog freaked out. We gave given him a shower twice before so we did not think he would be afraid. He did placed the dog on our patio so he can clean up the mess inside the house. The dog stayed out for 10 mins and then he brough him back in. But this happened 4 time that same day.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Did BF alpha roll him or scruff shake him?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Well, what ever happened, it seems to have been very traumatic for pup. Assuming he is not physically hurt, or not sick with a disease (I would get him checked) then the thing to do is to totally change how you and BF handle this puppy.

If you watch the Dog Whisperer, turn it off, and try to forget everything you learned there. That type of approach to training will ruin this dog.

It sounds like your BF is feeling bad about what happened. Together you can turn this around by learning Positive Reinforcement training. Now that I'm at my computer I can give you some links.

Here is the place to start. Watch a few of these videos and learn how to do this type of training. You never need to do punishments or corrections with this type of training. Instead you teach a puppy what you want him to do, and also teach him alternative behaviors so if he is doing something naughty, you can ask for a different behavior rather than scolding.

It sounds to me like the puppy was acting submissive before this terrible day, so we know he has a sensitive temperament. This is common with Sheps and you want to be very gentle with him from now on out, because what starts as fear and timidity can later turn to fearful aggression when he grows up. So from now on it is imperative you manage his world so he is not given more frights.

Here are a couple of books that will sort you and BF out on dogs.
Amazon.com: The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs (9780345446787): Patricia B. McConnell: Books

Amazon.com: Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training (9781860542381): Karen Pryor: Books

Read them to each other and you can be the best dog parents ever!

You can turn this all around and have your happy puppy back but you need to learn a few things and spend some time. It will be worth it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone, yes both my BF and I are very upset with all this and we hope we can draw our puppy out of this little rut. Thanks for all your help. I wll update in a couple of days with how we are progressing.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Thanks Cocobean. We will look forward to hearing updates. Please don't be shy, even if things are not progressing the way you hope. We are here to help!

All of us have made mistakes with our dogs. The thing is, most of the information out there in the popular culture on how to handle dogs is very heavy on the punishment/correction side, which turns out to be harmful to many dogs, but not all. We go along our merry way with most dogs not doing any harm, but then we have a sensitive pup like yours (or mine!) and we suddenly see that not only is the "dominance" idea incorrect, its actually counter productive.

So now you have the chance to really learn something new. That's what happened for me with my puppies. I believed a correction based trainer once for a while, and have since had to learn the Positive Reinforcement way, and my dogs' lives, and my life, are all totally transformed.

Best wishes,
Sue

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
in three days he has become a totally different dog and I am so afraid that he is not going to bounce back. He spends the day with my boyfriend and they used to be the best of friends before this happened. Now he does not even want to look at both of us and I was not even home when the whole thing happened
You are going to have to start over and convince the dog that your bf is not a threat. Maybe this will help. Kikopup is wonderful. It may take a lot of time to correct the damage done. No yelling angry reactions to anything the dog does it all has to be positive from now on to get him over his fear. It sounds like your dog has shut down. Look for this sticky under the training thread and read the shutdown part
Suppression, Modification, Shutdown, and Fallout. to help you understand where you are with this dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am so excited to give you this update and only a day later. I got my happy puppy back. I was so worried yesterday and I have to thank everyone for the kind words and advice. All it took was me buying him a huge smell doggy bone and when I got home he was so excited. He sat the whole evening chewing that bone and I got him out of his shell by playing with him and running around with that bone. This morning he was so excited to see me and he had a little bounce in his step. This whole ordeal has been a huge learning curve for my BF and me and we now know that we need to be a little gentler with our baby when correcting. But I also think the fact that he has allergies is a factor, I think he was feeling a little weak the last couple of day because this morning he did seem a little congested. But I wanted to tell you all that my little boy has his grove back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts