Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1 year and 8 months old Eskie and Pom mix has always been a picky eater. We've had quite a few unfinished bags of dog food within that time frame. She's quite healthy and we only feed her quality GF dog food. We don't feed her table scraps but we do give her treats for training on walks because she is leash reactive. Normally, she will like a new food for a few days but she'd eventually take a sniff then walk away. I've been doing the: "leave her bowl for 15-30 minute then pick it up after," but it's frustrating when she starts dry heaving and vomiting due to an empty stomach for so long. It doesn't happen all the time but what do I do in that situation? Should I give her a treat so her stomach isn't irritated? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of her learning that she has to eat at a specific time? I see that I have a few options: Keep buying kibble to see which ones she'd stick to which would cost a lot of $ then end up with unfinished bags. I could add wet toppers but I'm afraid she'll learn to only eat her kibble with wet dog food. Would that be a bad thing?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Dogs won't starve themselves to death. Picking up hunger-bile is a pain, I've had to do it before, but it's better than having all these expensive bags of dog food sitting around the house rotting because she knows she'll get something better if she holds out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used to mix in a little bit of wet food w/ my picky eater's food. Then she seemed to lose taste for the wet food, so I started mixing in shredded cheese and she ate that pretty well. Now she seems to be starting to lose appetite for the cheese and I'm not sure what to mix in next ...maybe I'll try the wet food again or get a carton of eggs to boil next time I go to the grocery store. It's all about the mix-ins for me and my girl, she barely eats and won't keep weight on otherwise.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would keep doing what you are doing, hunger pukes or not. A healthy dog will always eat. You are offering the food, she is the one choosing not to eat.

I would also pick a food, and stay with it. The more you switch around, the pickier you are making her. Tough love is sometimes the best thing to do, and stick with it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree that switching foods is making it worse. She knows she can get something different if she doesn't eat.
Another thing I'd try is making her work for her food. I find that many picky eaters are that way because they've lost some of their natural instincts. In the wild a dog works for their food and eats as fast as possible or they go hungry. Sometimes adding work or competition to dinnertime can really help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A dog that regularly pukes, no mention of a vet visit and we're all "tough love yo!" that's not okay.

Take your dog to the vet, OP. Make sure she's okay. Then I'd suggest a grain inclusive diet, find something she likes and switch around a bit if you have to.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I agree with a check-up before you try tough love.

You can do a few things to help her eat.

You can measure out her food every day and leave it out for the duration of the day. You'll know that she's not being over fed since you are controlling quantity, she's free to eat when she chooses so hopefully you'll avoid hunger pukes. When doing this you need to cut out all her treats, sucks I know I have a reactive dog and have had to do so when he was on a special diet, but it's necessary so that she does not hold out for those treats.

You can continue to do scheduled feedings, but you are going to have to put up with the hunger pukes if you do so.

You can rotate between foods every few days. Pick 4 or so different flavors, and feed each one for a few days before switching to the next. If you choose to do this be sure to seal the bags good so that they do not go bad, and buy the smallest sized bag available. If your lucky you may be able to go 4 or 5 days before switching flavors.

You can try a topper and again switch flavors every few days. With this method you may do best to choose pate style foods like ground dog food.

Reactions: Sha

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Same problem here. Any brand you guys recommend?

Depends on what you want to feed. I don't know much about the food rolls, but know that there are a couple of good brands.

If you want to do something more like home cooking The Honest Kitchen is a good brand. They have formulas that include meat and formulas that you have to add meat to.

If you want to feed kibble there's a bunch of good formulas and it's just a matter of finding one that your dog likes and does well on, many of the companies will send you sample packs to try. Orijen, Acana, Evo, Fromm, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, 4 Health (tractor supply brand) are all good brands.

If it's canned food your looking for then check out the canned foods of the brands I named for the kibble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts