Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm brand new to the forum and new to dog ownership as well. We got our approximately 2 year old beagle mix almost a month ago and she has been almost perfect...
She is very chill and sweet most of the time but when she is ready to play, she gets nuts. If my 4 year old son is standing alone in the yard, she targets him and plows right into him on purpose and then keeps on running with a huge smile on her face. How do I stop this?! I can't stand next to him every second we're outside. I know exercising her helps but what can I do in the moment to let her know that's not okay? And why is she targeting only him?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The first step to changing a behavior is not allowing the dog to practice it. So remove him from the environment when she gets like that, before she knocks him over. Every single time. She's getting wound up? He is removed from the environment or put somewhere she can't reach him to knock him over. Ex, sitting in a chair when she gets zoomy or leaving the room.

Have you done any training with her?

Physical exercise is great, but often not enough. Mental exercise (food puzzles, training, going for a sniff walk on a long line, nose work, etc.) is just as important.

She's doing it because it's fun or rewarding. It likely gets some kind of reaction from him and you, and she may find that reaction rewarding.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My son was two when I got my Ridgeback. She did 't knock him over on purpose but was just clumsy with him. After I the first few times he would just chuck himself on the ground whenever he saw her coming.
This isn't the answer, but you're not alone!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.