Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTELLIGENCE OF DOGS - The ranking by breed

Interesting reading. My dogs have their own kind of intelligence. They can discern the treat jar being opened at 20 feet away. :) But they don't ever beg for something off my dinner plate although they will stare earnestly at me. They are good at gauging their chances of getting something out of a situation.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've never been a huge fan of this study, there's a lot more to intelligence than how fast a dog can learn a cue.

Beagles are one of the lowest ranked dogs and they're known as "dumb" and "stubborn" but I've seen beagles do some crazy problem solving to get to food lol. There's a beagle at work who can escape from crates, open doors, and open the fridge so he can only be locked in a kennel when he's boarding. There are also a lot of cool videos of beagles doing things like pushing chairs to get on the counter, or escaping from runs on youtube.
Huskies and terriers are also good problem solvers, even if they don't pick up cues as easily.
These kinds of dogs were bred to work independently, rather than with a human like herding breeds and gun dogs. It would make sense that they aren't as interested in doing what they're told.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's a lot more to intelligence than how fast a dog can learn a cue.
That was my point about my dogs. They are very smart, if intelligence is the ability to manipulate the environment, and only manipulate it when there is a possibility of getting something out of the situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
german shepherds are confident and courageus.

i guess garm never got the memo, he's terrified of loud birds and cats.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
german shepherds are confident and courageus.
A broad overgeneralization, of course it is going to have exceptions. I think 'confidence' is not only nature, it is nurture as well, and great nurturing is definitely (unfortunately) a roll of the dice for every dog (and ever person as well).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts