Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have NOT done this, I am wondering if it is legal. My husband and I are planning on driving from Nova Scotia to Alberta with 2 large male dogs. If we were to drive out with a truck, and tow my car behind it, with one dog inside.. if there was food, water and windows down but not enough that it could get out, would this be legal or inhumane for my animal in any way? I know it will still be warm in in the car even with the windows open, but it would be in the truck with us as well. My dogs DO like being in the car. I would even go in it with them, but I don't know if that is legal either. I am not going to do this if it's cruel. We could always fly them out, but that's hard on a dog too.
I am open to any suggestions. I just want my dogs to both be able to come out with me, and there would not be enough room in the car for my husband, two 75-80 pd dogs + me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is a 3400 mile trip, and as a person, I would get antsy after that time.

I dont know if it is legal or illegal, but it does not sound like a fun time for the animals.

It would be hot, and you have no idea what is going on back there if something were to happen or if they had a problem you would never know untill you pulled over and checked them, and who knows how long that could be. Sounds sketchy to me.

While flying is stressfull, it is a much quicker ordeal, and a lot safter for the dogs.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Many professional dog trainers tow trailers full of dogs. These trailers are designed for transporting dogs and most have small fans to help air circulation and the compartments are smooth sided so nothing to hurt the dogs or catch a collar on. I have heard some horror stories that have happened but those were usually either freak accidents or a case of the driver not stopping often enough to check on the dogs.

I'd make sure the dogs had access to fresh water. Stop at least once an hour to check on the dogs, more often if the weather is very warm. You can get some cooling mats for them to lie on. I'd worry about a dog getting a collar hooked on something in the car like a door handle or other protruding object. I would be uncomfortable with the dogs not wearing collars with ID so not sure how best to handle this. You might consider getting some breakaway collars for this trip.

ETA, also make sure there's no way for the doors or windows to be accidentally opened by the dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts