Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my lab just went into heat for the first time. Is there anything i shouldn't do with her while shes in heat? Meaning, walking, fetch, playing with my other pooch, any other need to knows would be good to. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Get her a bloomer with sanitary napkins to wear in the house so she doesn't leak all over. NO dog parks, pet stores, or public parks where people walk lots of dogs. If your other dog is an intact male do NOT let them interact. I would use caution on regular walks in case any males try to approach her. Do not leave her unattended outside. In terms of playing, exercise and general treatment of her, that doesn't need to change. You basically just need to prevent her from getting pregnant. And when she is done with this heat cycle, please get her spayed.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
don't let male dogs get close to her in any way? don't let her run off-leash, keep her close to you when you'Re outside.
that and buy diaper pants to protect your carpet and furniture.

·
Registered
917 Posts
It is possible to keep an intact female dog, it just takes some work. They make doggie panties, I suggest getting them. I use regular pantie liners. Make sure she is kept on leash at all times outside, keep her away from intact males. Keep in mind even neutered males can show interest in her and can mate her, but nothing will come of it. No dog parks, stores or anywhere you commonly see other dogs. Walking your neighborhood is up to you, but if you see a lot of other dogs I wouldn't do it. You don't have to restrict any activities, just no off leash or running with intact males.
It's not that hard keeping an intact female, it just takes some work and vigilance on your part.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, what about swimming? My concern is with her vulva swollen she is at an increased riak for some infection? But im not sure if that is a warranted concern

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I've honestly never given thought to swimming. You could ask the vet but the heat cycle isn't that long so maybe just skip out on it for a bit.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would totally avoid walking her in your neighborhood.....a male can follow her scent right to your house and make a nuisance of himself for sure! A female will have breeding on her mind just as much as a male does ( it's nature!) so do be very watchful of her!! Her scent can be detected for miles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts