Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I'm new here!
I have a 10 month old dog named Rosie, she is a rescue pup (was abandoned at 4 weeks old with her brothers and sisters)
I am not sure what breed she is, they think part border terrier, I;m guessing know the breed might help, this is her-

right okay my question-
on mondays and wednesday I have to take my eldest daughter to nursery which makes Rosie very upset she barks and howls until I come home, usually if I go out she comes with me or goes to dads house but sadly she has a very bad hip, can't walk on her back leg at the moment, she is having a Xray and possible operation on tuesday, but until then I have been told by the vet not to take her out for walks, which means she can't come with me now.
I have just recieved a letter from my neighbours telling me if the barking carries on they will call the RSPCA because Rosie is clearly in distress :/
I tried having the radio on this morning but it didn't help she was still barking when I can back.

so basically does anyone have any advice on how to calm her down until I get home, I feel a bit at a loss of what to do, I do feel sorry for my neighbours because her barking is annoying but I feel like there is nothing I can do about it :confused:
TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you tried leaving her for small amounts of time first? Is she ok being left in rooms of the house on her own? If she is, you can start off by literally just going out the door, staying out for one second, and then coming back in again. Gradually increase the time you go out for (10 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute, 5 minutes, etc.). If she starts whining or barking, go back to the last time that she was happy with and do that a few more times.

I appreciate you may need a fairly immediate solution if you have to leave her for more than the time she is ok for. With a really focused spell of training, some dogs can be comfortable being left for a few hours within a couple of days. With others it may take a couple of weeks though. Its really important to build the time you are gone up gradually so that your dog is confident you will return.

The other thing which might help is a DAP collar or spray. These release comforting pheremones which are meant to relax your dog. I have to say we tried one on our old lab when he had dementia and got anxious at night time, and it didn't help much, but they are supposed to work on most dogs.

Also, be really careful not to make a fuss of your dog on leaving or returning. This makes the dog think that you going out is a big important thing, worthy of getting distressed about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she is okay with being left in rooms on her own, when I have people like repairmen and doctors for my daughter come round she is happy to be locked in the bathroom until they leave and doesn't make a peep, its just when I leave, I have been tempted to lock her in the bathroom when i leave but I keep feeling thats a bit mean?
its just she gets really calm when in the bathroom for some reason hahaa

I will try that thank you! :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
what happens when you put her in her crate in another room away from you?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried her in a crate she kept weeing and pooing herself and then made a hell of a mess!
and just generally goes nuts, only just got rid of the crate last month

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
she is okay with being left in rooms on her own, when I have people like repairmen and doctors for my daughter come round she is happy to be locked in the bathroom until they leave and doesn't make a peep, its just when I leave, I have been tempted to lock her in the bathroom when i leave but I keep feeling thats a bit mean?
its just she gets really calm when in the bathroom for some reason hahaa

I will try that thank you! :)
Is she loose when you leave? I would gate her in a room since she does okay with it. Also put something dirty of yours for her lay on...give her kongs and other toys to keep her busy.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Great advice already.

I'd suggest you speak with your neighbors, explain that she has separation anxiety - what you are doing to fix it, and ask to give you a few weeks. People have a harder time reporting you when you are communicating with them face-to-face that you are working on it. Follow up with them in two weeks or so of working on this to see if the behavior has improved.

You can do something like what is advised for crate training below, only do it in the bathroom or a bedroom (wherever she is most calm in). Building up time, as has already been mentioned, but doing it with treats or long-lasting food items is probably going to give you the best results. Also, a DAP plugin diffuser works better than the sprays/collars from what I've read.

Read #s 10 & 11 in the Crate Training FAQ: teaching the dog to love the crate, and building up time alone. Again, these can be done in a dog-safe room vs. the crate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thinking I might close her in bathroom then.
so will try that tomorrow and go out the back and see how she is!
I was going to do it sooner but my dad told me it was cruel so never did!

thank you everyone for your advice! :)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
WHOOOOOA! I wouldn't lock her in the bathroom!!!!! She might get into under the sink toxic substances (are they removed???) rip up your shower curtain, and chew up your bathroom door....my houla ate two feet off my door when we had to take her sibling to the vet without her and didn't come back for about 8 hours!!!! She is still going to be making noise so containing her isn't going to quiet her down.
How about a Thunder shirt? Or see if a friend would dog sit, or a doggy day care to build her confidence,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
pkelley, IMHO, I think it depends on how destructive she is. If she isn't as destructive as the dog in the pic, it shouldn't be a problem. ;) OP, "dog proofing" means removing toxic substances or using baby latches on cabinets if that is enough - so be sure the bathroom is completely dog proofed. :)

If it's a choice between getting evicted and keeping the dog in the bathroom where noise may be more insulated, the bathroom is a good choice. I did this with my dog when she was a puppy and also used crate training methods, and she was fine. I never left her for more than 4 hours alone, and the bathroom had no cabinets (it was a half-bath).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHOOOOOA! I wouldn't lock her in the bathroom!!!!! She might get into under the sink toxic substances (are they removed???) rip up your shower curtain, and chew up your bathroom door....my houla ate two feet off my door when we had to take her sibling to the vet without her and didn't come back for about 8 hours!!!! She is still going to be making noise so containing her isn't going to quiet her down.
How about a Thunder shirt? Or see if a friend would dog sit, or a doggy day care to build her confidence,
I have 2 babies so I do not keep any toxic substances under the sinks or in any reach, they all go on the windowsil/top of cupboards in the kitchen out of reach of anyone apart from myself :)

i did go shopping yesterday and put her in the bathroom, I only say bathroom because it is the only room she is calm in, I put her in there when I have repair men/doctors come round because she stops barking automatically when in there, it seems to work when going out, I put her in there with biscuits, water and a blanket and she started barking when she heard me leave the house but she stopped within a few minutes, I really don't want to put her in there but I am at a loss of what else to do :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
If she is happy being left in the bathroom, I really wouldn't worry about that. So long as she has access to water and isn't going to hurt herself or eat anything harmful, there's no reason she shouldn't be in there.

If you want to try leaving her in another room as well, I would wait till she is really comfortable being left in the bathroom alone, and then try leaving the bathroom door open but all other doors closed (so, depending on how your house is laid out, I would guess she would start off with access to the bathroom and a hall), and try leaving her for a very short amount of time, gradually increasing the length of time if she is comfortable.

I'm glad you've got her to be quiet and calm while you're out, that's the most important thing!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
That's great that she sees the bathroom as her "safe" place and doesn't destroy anything! Guess I am used to "extreme" dogs! Both of mine got out from an open gate today and I chased them two miles in the car....neighbors were laughing like crazy and enjoyed the show, sigh. They both were home at the front door BEFORE I got home, tongues hanging out grinning...:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts