Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighbors got a new dog and we notice that the poor thing is in a crate all day long until very late at night outside no matter the weather. We went out to make sure he had enough food and water and he barked so viciously as though he were very frightened. Our neighbors are nice enough people and don't seem like the type that would abuse animals but I don't understand having a dog and just making it stay outside all day long with almost no human interaction. Isn't that abuse? Someone from the animal control said that as long as their is food and water for him then they can't do anything about it, but the poor thing is so starved for human affection and attention.

I have 3 dogs who are treated like royalty compared to this poor little thing! I love my pets and give them lots of love and affection and just can't for the life of me understand someone who wants a pet but not having anything to do with it. I'm so upset and don't know what to do!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Just another anti-social dog created by humans. Go talk to your neighbors... Ask them directly why they leave their dog penned up all day. Maybe they got some bad advice and are willing to listen to reason - it's not a way for any animal to live.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Isn't that abuse?
Abuse for the authorities is tied to whatever statutes involves, and sadly if there is food water and shelter that covers the basics.
What is even sadder is that authorities have their hands full going after people who don't even provide the basics.

You could approach the neighbors in a friendly way and perhaps talk to them. If you do so in an accusatory manner (which would be natural given the circumstances) they will cut off communications and you will no longer be able to help the dog.
So start a relationship with them. They may surprise you and listen, if approached correctly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I hope this is more the case:
The neighbors didn't get a new dog but are just 'boarding' one for a friend for a week or so?

If that's the case, they might feel that keeping a dog like that for a short term time isn't so bad and they feel safe knowing the dog isn't going to escape or destroy stuff.

???

Stormy

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Just curious, but what do you mean by kennel? Is it the kind most people use indoors (Ex. https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+crate&biw=1280&bih=578&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8-Zzs9uLOAhUG_R4KHSX6BagQ_AUIBygC) or a larger outdoor kennel (ex. https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+crate&biw=1280&bih=578&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8-Zzs9uLOAhUG_R4KHSX6BagQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=outdoor+dog+kennel)? Does the dog have any shelter from the elements? Is he brought inside at all?

As others have said, unfortunetly its hard for authoraties to pull animals if they are given a minimum basics. Of coarse the law/rules may vary from state to state and county to county.
Maybe you could bring up (nicely) that they got a new dog, or ask (again nicely) if its a outdoor dog/ allowed in the house. I say nicely because as Jagger said, although its easy to be getting angry or fighting with them about isn't going to get any were for either of you.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Our neighbors are nice enough people and don't seem like the type that would abuse animals but I don't understand having a dog and just making it stay outside all day long with almost no human interaction. Isn't that abuse? Someone from the animal control said that as long as their is food and water for him then they can't do anything about it
I find it odd you say your neighbors don't seem like the type to abuse animals when you're witnessing it every day! Sadly, depending on where you live the animal cruelty laws can suck. However, instead of calling animal control (which honestly, in many places, are freaking useless with little to no training), call the local SPCA instead. Animal control truly, is more like a pest control company, their job is to treat animals like a health hazard to humans. The SPCAs are organizations that actually care about animals and their welfare. If the dog is being kept outside in *ALL* weather, that sounds dangerous and potentially illegal. Hopefully.

So please don't lose hope and try to get this dog some help, he really needs it.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I can't imagine puting our dog in a crate for any length of time. We do have one. We got it when we were planning a flight to the states and a crate was mandatory. It sits, unused, in my office. He has a look into it from time to time and the grand children "explored" it when they were here recently.

The question that occurs to me is why get a dog then feel the need to put it into a cage? Because, let's face it, that's what a crate really is.

Maybe we just got incredibly lucky - or maybe the dog did. Or maybe a bit of both. It's not often he doesn't go with us but we can leave him at home and he does OK. Just patiently awaits our return. The greeting is something you couldn't buy.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The question that occurs to me is why get a dog then feel the need to put it into a cage?
Keeping a dog outdoors in a crate all day is not good. However, judicious use of crates for sleeping, house training, etc. can be good for both the dog and its human.
It is perfectly OK to crate or not crate depending on your circumstances and choice, that is a whole separate issue than the abusive crating of a dog outside all day long.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Keeping a dog outdoors in a crate all day is not good. However, judicious use of crates for sleeping, house training, etc. can be good for both the dog and its human.
It is perfectly OK to crate or not crate depending on your circumstances and choice, that is a whole separate issue than the abusive crating of a dog outside all day long.
As I said, maybe we just got lucky. But I don't think it is quite as simple as that. I think that sometimes people don't realise or maybe don't put enough thought into the needs or responsibilities of dog ownership before getting one.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As I said, maybe we just got lucky. But I don't think it is quite as simple as that. I think that sometimes people don't realise or maybe don't put enough thought into the needs or responsibilities of dog ownership before getting one.
That is absolutely true, some people don't.
But that statement is completely different than dismissing the usefulness of crating when used correctly. If you prefer not to crate, that is fine. Crating responsibly is a choice.

·
Banned
283 Posts
That is absolutely true, some people don't.
But that statement is completely different than dismissing the usefulness of crating when used correctly.
I didn't dismiss them. As I said, we have one. Not only because it would have been useful. But, in some cases, mandatory like for flying and some hotels allow dogs only if you have a crate.

I suppose we've been lucky. We have a good traveller who is comfortable with the car, lifts, stairs, overnight in hotels........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We went over to talk to them and they said that they keep the dog in the kennel most of the day because he is not house trained. The really outrageous part is that they admitted that they have had him for a whole year and have not bothered to train him!! Evidently, they were keeping him at the inlaws and that is why we never saw him. OMG, for goodness sake train the poor thing then!!

The thing that really concerns me is that last year they got a bunny and the little daughter who is around 8 came over to show him to us. Well, about a month later we saw her playing and asked how her little bunny was and she said, sadly, that he had died. Oh what happened we asked, feeling sad with her.
And she said they left him outside and he froze to death!!!!! They are teaching another generation how to abuse animals.

I am going to call the SPCA as was suggested but I'm so worried they won't do anything either. My heart breaks for this little dog and it is causing so much stress for me and my kids. What should I do if the SPCA doesn't do anything either???

Thanks for all your replies. I've been an animal lover all my life and I have taught my kids that they are sacred and to be treated with the utmost care and love, and watching this is killing me and them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The only way you can find out is if you call the aspca. Even if they cant do anything they may be able to give them a warning hopefully.
I dont know if i missed this but what kind of kennel is he in, the kind we nornally use inside or a larger outdoor kennel? Also does he have any shelter at all from teh weather?
Also poor bunnie :(.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I am going to call the SPCA as was suggested but I'm so worried they won't do anything either. My heart breaks for this little dog and it is causing so much stress for me and my kids. What should I do if the SPCA doesn't do anything either???
Contact the local media and tell them how no one is helping this dog. Seriously I don't understand people who abuse and neglect their animals and also don't seem to even want them. I mean if you lock your dog up all day why do you want one?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If this is a plastic crate I think contacting the media might help. If it is a chain link kennel, I'm not so sure, although it may get some potential trainers stepping up to donate services to help housebreak the dog.
While I agree that dogs should not live outdoors in chain link kennels, I just can't imagine an organization taking action if the dog is otherwise well taken care of, that's just a reality check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

My daughter talked to the guy and he said the dog has to stay outside because it is not trained. We found out that the dog is over a year old and that they have had it that long but it was being housed at his mother's house. But now it is at their house and outside all day and night (I thought they were letting it in at night but now I know it is outside even all through the night). I called the humane society and they said they couldn't do anything because the dog has food and water. I told him that a good part of the time I and my daughter are the ones feeding and watering it but I don't think he believed me.

There is no one home at that house for what seems like days at a time. There are never any lights on. Whenever I knock on the door no one answers. This poor dog howls day and night (not continuously but at regular intervals). My heart splits in two when I hear its mournful cry.

What's wrong with this so called humane society? Who else can I go to besides the media, which is definitely somewhere on my list (want to exhaust all other solutions first). I even thought of stealing the dog and finding it a good home but I would rather stay inside the law. I just don't know how much longer I can stand to watch this!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
This may sound horrible but you have to stop feeding and watering him. The humane society won't do anything so long as you are taking care of the dog. I know its heartless but its the way most states are. So long as he looks Jan good condition they can't do anything unless he is in a small crate instead of an outdoor pen. If its a crate that is cruel confinement in my book.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Update:

My daughter talked to the guy and he said the dog has to stay outside because it is not trained. We found out that the dog is over a year old and that they have had it that long but it was being housed at his mother's house. But now it is at their house and outside all day and night (I thought they were letting it in at night but now I know it is outside even all through the night). I called the humane society and they said they couldn't do anything because the dog has food and water. I told him that a good part of the time I and my daughter are the ones feeding and watering it but I don't think he believed me.

There is no one home at that house for what seems like days at a time. There are never any lights on. Whenever I knock on the door no one answers. This poor dog howls day and night (not continuously but at regular intervals). My heart splits in two when I hear its mournful cry.

What's wrong with this so called humane society? Who else can I go to besides the media, which is definitely somewhere on my list (want to exhaust all other solutions first). I even thought of stealing the dog and finding it a good home but I would rather stay inside the law. I just don't know how much longer I can stand to watch this!!
You have been asked several times whether this is a plastic kennel or an outdoor chain link kennel but have declined to reply, so I suspect it is a chain link kennel.
If they are feeding it, and it is in a chain link kennel and they clean the kennel reasonably often, there are few organizations who will take action.

If your daughter talked to the guy, so can you. Offer friendship and help, and see what is going on. Some helpful ideas or even a referral to this site may be enough to turn this situation around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It doesn't matter what kind of crate the dog is in. THERE IS NO ONE FEEDING OR WATERING THIS ANIMAL BUT ME AND MY FAMILY AND HER CAGE IS FULL OF POOP!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
It doesn't matter what kind of crate the dog is in. THERE IS NO ONE FEEDING OR WATERING THIS ANIMAL BUT ME AND MY FAMILY AND HER CAGE IS FULL OF POOP!!!
So apparently the dog is in an outdoor chain link kennel and whenever the authorities check it has food and water.
I think you should talk to the owner and see what is actually going on.
Why not post a pic here?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts