Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help before i go mad!!
my dog is driving me insane......im thinking of finding a trainer to come in....

My dog 7yr old retreiver is too hyper.

We just cant take him anywhere. in the car he barks, we go camping a lot and tie him up outside, if he cant see me he barks.

At home as soon as I pick up the leads he goes nuts, barking jumping trying to grab the lead.

i have a stair gate on my kitchen door. if me and my partner are eating in the kitchen we lock the stairgate so he cant get in. he barks, crys jumps on the gate....

If someone comes to my house (family friend etc)
he barks for about 10 minutes if nobody is giving him the attention..

Nothing works.........
Im considering purchasing the citronella collar for the car when he barks, but its a lot of money if it doesnt work....

Its got to the point where we dont want to invite people over or take him camping.............:mad:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds like he might be under stimulated and bored/anxious.

Is it a new behavior?

Please don't use aversive methods.

Someone (usually the dog) is on the losing end if using like a bark collar because even when it "works", it only works to make him scared of barking, it doesn't help "the problem" itself.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Don`t punish for barking, it will probably create only more and much bigger problems - dog will develop paranoia for stuff like other ppl, cars etc. You really don`t want a fearful dog.

Is this new behavior?

How much exercise does your dog get every day?

TBH it sounds like your dog hasn`t been trained and is just bored :)

So for exhausting that energy:

Up the waling time but also note that:

For some more active and bigger breeds, walking/running isn`t always a solution because they can virtually go on forever ... my dog could walk in nature for 5 days before getting tired and I honestly don`t have the time to do that.

A 30 min long walk in a busy street in downtown and boom she`s out cold.

To sum up - your dog needs mental stimulation. Take him on a walk in more interesting areas or if he is not well enough behaved for that, start training him at home. Teach him tricks, that also exhausts them. Even if it is 15 min a day.

Training:

It also sounds like your dog doesn`t have the basics of impulse control training.

Actually it sounds like you could really benefit from a trainer - one that uses positive reinforcement methods.

We can also offer you advice how to start home-training on your own but man that`s going to be such a long post....

I hope someone comes by and types it :p :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sounds like a dog who isn't tired to me. :) a mixture of daily training and at least 30 mins (being a retriever probably more) of physical exercise a day. Preferably off leash so he can get a good run in if you don't jog/bike. Chasing a ball up hill will help wear him out too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How long has this been going on? Retrievers needs a lot of exercise. Walk with her at least an hour a day. Try taking him for a jog, that would wear him out. You should try to find an area where she can run off leash. Teach her new tricks, mental exercise is very important for ever dog.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
walk your dog 1-2 hours every day, on walk train lash walking and calm behaviour.
If you've got ater close to your house: train a reliable recall, then let you dog swim. A lot of retrievers I know, love the water andit tires them out too.
start with boring areas then step by step start walking in more esciting areas.
spend time with your dog exercising it every day mentally. perhaps sniffing/search games could be fun for your dog.
train the impulse control of your dog...you can find a lot of training games online for that topic.
when there nothing it should do...reward calm behaviour.
depending on the dog, the use of marker words or clicker can help for it to learn what you want from them.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Hello everybody, I have a big problem. I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT, whenever I take him for a walks we have problems. He has problems with other male dogs and he behaves badly when he sees one. So, going for walks is always a challenge for us.
My husband and I were thinking about taking him to 'doggy school', but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest 'doggy school' is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!

·
Banned
45 Posts
How long has this been going on? Retrievers needs a lot of exercise. Walk with her at least an hour a day. Try taking him for a jog, that would wear him out. You should try to find an area where she can run off leash. Teach her new tricks, mental exercise is very important for ever dog.
If lack of exercise is the problem, walking on a leash will not solve it, again my dog runs 50 or more miles in a clip. Retriever exercise is running, not walking attached to a human, even if the human runs the dog can not get what it needs though this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If lack of exercise is the problem, walking on a leash will not solve it, again my dog runs 50 or more miles in a clip. Retriever exercise is running, not walking attached to a human, even if the human runs the dog can not get what it needs though this helps.
That's why I said that she should find an area for him to run off lead. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts