Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly a week ago, my dog Bailey was attack by another, my larger dog (he’s a shih tzu mix, the attacker was a bull terrier) and was very seriously injured on one side of his body, so his front shoulder and back leg are both badly hurt and had to be stitched up and he can only walk on three legs at the moment.
He’s in a lot of pain and has had to be on a lot of different medications, but has been making improvements physically and behaviourally he’s started to seem more like himself.
However, tonight somethings seemed up with him. He normally starts to get a bit restless before his next painkillers are due and the last ones have worn off, and he readjusts his sitting position a lot. He normally sleeps in a crate with his brother at night but since the attack he’s been in my bed so I can keep an eye on him especially cause he doesn’t like being alone at the moment. My bedroom is downstairs, and I was sat in bed with him with the door open (my other dog was also on my bed, but he normally sleeps upstairs with someone else as he pesters Bailey too much otherwise). Bailey kept suddenly being hyper alert, his ears pricking and staring at different points, like there was a fly or something, which there wasn’t. On top of this, he kept trying to jump off my bed (which is too high for him to jump at the moment) and when I put him on the floor he’d run to his crate and try to go in it. He doesn’t have a cone on despite his stitches as he’d keep pulling it off, so we just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn’t lick them, but he does occasionally try to run into his crate to lick them, so this is the only thing I could think of causing the running away but he hasn’t done that at all during the night before. He hasn’t been like this ever, he normally isn’t bothered by sounds or sights around him and is a fairly lazy and unbothered dog. I can’t think of anything that could be bothering him, he keeps looking around like he’s watching or listening out for something.
Is it possible he has some form of PTSD or could it be stress causing this? Or is there something more serious going on cognitively or neurologically? Is it worth calling the vet about tomorrow, and is there anything I can do to help settle him so he can sleep?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Any time something is going on, for reasons that are unknown, its always best to err on the side of caution and check with your Vet, IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Was the other dog on your bed the dog that attached Bailey? If so then he might be reacting to that. Since the attack was severe he might now be very nervous around any other dog, including dogs he was previously fine with.

What I would do is have him checked by the vet, explain the strange behavior you witnessed, and make sure nothing is happening with his health. If nothing is going on medically I'd contact a positive reinforcement behaviorist to help you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts