Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i just bought $55 new house for my dog ( i bought it here *link removed*) and the question is how to train your dog to like the new house, since my dog won't come in to the new house. And how long does it takes for the dog adapt with his new house. Until now, my dog wont stay in his own new house :ponder:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi, i just bought $55 new house for my dog ( i bought it here *link removed*) and the question is how to train your dog to like the new house, since my dog won't come in to the new house. And how long does it takes for the dog adapt with his new house. Until now, my dog wont stay in his own new house :ponder:
You have to make the house seem like it's the greatest thing ever. Make it as appealing to your dog as possible. Consider all things- for example, if there is no padding on the floor, you can't blame the dog for not wanting to hang out in there. Straw is a great solution -- keeps em warm and it's pretty comfy. Another thing to consider is the dog houses' ability to block wind. It would get pretty annoying if the dog house turned out to be a wind-tunnel loll.

A dog house that is properly insulated will most likely be more appealing as well. It will protect your dog from the weather, regardless of it being hot or cold out. Sure, it's not something that's required but why not do it if you can? -- Insulation will ensure that the temperature inside the dog house remains constant.

Aside from those things, there is one obvious way of getting your dog to like the dog house. Feed him in it. Give him treats inside. Spend time outside near the dog house and maybe use the dog house as a training aid. IE, have the dog on a down-stay inside the house, then reward for staying in there for however long.

...i dunno, just some thoughts and ideas. maybe others can help more

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Stars has a great point. But Kryesor has always went into his house. Especially when it was raining. You can do what Stars has mentioned, but also, it won't be bad to weight until the weather changes and your pet HAS to go inside his house, like when it's cold and raining outside. If your dog wants to stay dry and warm, he'll/she'll go inside the house. (No dog is stupid to not know that being dry is better than being wet. ^_^) That was how I trained Kryesor to like his house. I just left him outside until I found he was consistant with going into his house. (Especially if you leave em outside all night.) The way I see this part is hey, it's a tough world and if it doesn't revolve around me, it doesn't revolve around you. ^_^

It also helps to put something soft and warm inside like Straw. (Even in the summer time, I still put straw in the dog house because it will be comfy for him.) And in the summer time, the only time he will go inside his house is at night. (He has to play guard duty of the car outside my house because a crazy lady is going around popping tires on vehicles.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts