Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 11 month old Aussie/Lab mix. He is a rescue and I got him when he was 6 months old. He had no house training at all when I adopted him. He only pooped in the apartment twice since I've had him and that was a while ago. I took him to the vet and he did have an upset belly so we got him on some antibiotics. However, the issue is peeing. He still pees inside! Sometimes we can go days without. There are usually no signs. He will just squat and pee midplay. I take him out 30-45 minutes after I give him water. If I don't take him out another 30 minutes later he will pee inside. He holds it when I am not home and through the night. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Did your vet check him for a UTI? Doesn't sound like it is, but I'd rule it out just in case. An 11 month old pup should physically be able to hold it for a while, it's just a matter of teaching him how to. Treat him like he's a brand new puppy that has no concept of peeing inside vs outside (which essentially is what he is)

-Never scold him for peeing in the house. If the pup pees in the house the blame is on you, not him. If he has an accident, quietly clean it up and go about your business. If you catch him in the act you can try to get his attention, and take him outside. Sometimes you'll be able to stop him others he'll just keep going. Right now your puppy doesn't understand that going outside is what he's supposed to do, and that peeing inside the house is a no-no.
- Thoroughly clean all the areas he's peed with an enzymatic cleaner.
- He should always be under strict supervision, you're either watching him like a hawk or he's tethered to/near you. Or he's in a crate/puppy safe place/play pen where he won't pee.
- Get him on a schedule. I would aim for an end goal of taking him out 4 times a day but you'll need to start with every 1-2 hours, maybe even 30 mins. He should go out 5-10 mins after eating/drinking, any lull in play/training time, and after a nap. Also make sure you're out for at least 5-15 mins so he has enough time to go. Even if he goes right away, stay out for a bit of extra time. He'll probably need to pee a few times before his bladder is empty.
-When he pees outside give him a lot of praise and a couple really high value treats. This will get him to understand that peeing outside is good and gets you treats. Peeing inside gets you nothing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts