Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going off to college in one year and I have a year old dog (he'll be 2 at the time). Anyways, colleges do not allow pets in the dorms and I DO NOT want to leave my dog at home with my family because I am the one who takes care of him. Well the college I am looking at in my state requires freshmen to stay on campus but that would mean I have to leave my dog at home with my family and once again, I dont want to do that.

Well my question is are there any dog hotel-like places that would house my dog, where he could interact with other dogs and humans, for an extended period of time? Of course I would visit him on most weekends and take him on holidays and I only need to do this for one year because Im going to live off of campus my second year. I love my dog dearly and if there is no such place, then I will just look at another college that doesnt require freshman to stay on campus.

Please and Thank You for your response and time.:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry I cant answer your question. Im in Australia. But I would personally leave the dog with the family as I doubt they would let anything bad happen to him. Boarding will cost you a fortune, so I think being at home and around humans is better for him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Family would be my first choice too, but if that is not possible, you could contact boarding kennels in the area of your school. Maybe you could negotiate a long-term agreement at a lower rate, but around here they charge about $10 a day. If you choose one near your college, you could go spend time with the dog as often as possible.

Best wishes!
-Mike-

·
Registered
115 Posts
Family would be my first choice too, but if that is not possible, you could contact boarding kennels in the area of your school. Maybe you could negotiate a long-term agreement at a lower rate, but around here they charge about $10 a day. If you choose one near your college, you could go spend time with the dog as often as possible.

Best wishes!
-Mike-
Hi Mike, You're so luck because in St. Louis, the cheapest one is about $50 a day. Anyway, family would be my first option too but in stead of using doggie daycare, what do you think about foster home/family?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lol. We are almost in opposite situations. You already have a dog and are having to figure out how to get through college with him and I am waiting to get through college so I can finally get my dog!

I do think that family would be the best place for him to stay. The house environment would be familiar and he would already be used to your family members. You could go visit him during holidays (or if you are close enough, on weekends). I actually have not heard of a college that lets freshman stay off campus, but maybe you will be lucky and find one :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Really? in my country you could go home if you traveling ain't a big deal for you.

OT: Any particular reason you don't want to leave him home? as it is the best option for both of you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Clearly the best would be not to uproot your dog for a whole year. Why not try leaving him with your family but get a person to come in each day and do the necessary things such as feed and walk him. There are companies that offer this service. A friend or a young person living in the neighbourhood might be able to help out if you offer a fee in return. I understand your dilemma... I get anxious just leaving my dogs for half a day at home alone!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Mike, You're so luck because in St. Louis, the cheapest one is about $50 a day.
Wow! I thought $10 was pretty inexpensive, but I had no idea it was that good of a deal. $10 to $12 includes 24 hours and a couple walks. The facilities are heated and air conditioned too.

-Mike-

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best dog hotel

:)Hi , I left my dog a few times in a dog hotel "I love dogs " and it is fantastic dog hotel!!!, Running by a family , nothing to do with Greek kennel/prison/cement. The owner is a nice lady , you can undesrtand that she really loves dogs and care about them .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts