Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 9 pm tonight, just after a huge thunder storm, we hear a bang and yelping, we work out an animal has been hit by a car but the car that hits this dog doesn't slow and drives off. My Mum rushes outside and calls for this dog and it runs past her to sit on our doorstep. This dog is totally scared and stressed, and at this point Asha has gone to the door (we have a screen door) and all I can think is Asha is going to lose it at this poor dog, but no very calm and her behaviour seems to settle this dog, enough for Mum to pick it up anyway. I spend about 15 minutes on the phone and computer looking at different vets that are open 9 pm on a Wednesday; find one not too far from us and off to the vet we go. I end up signing a Good Samaritan Release Form and signing this dog over to the vet. No micro chip, but the dog was getting pain relief while I was signing the form. It seemed ok, just wouldn't put weight on one of its back legs.

Hopefully this dog will be all right and the owners are found. But I feel terrible and sad, even though I know what we did for this dog was probably the best thing for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You did the right thing! God bless that pup!
I have a similar story, but with a cat, and the poor thing got hit by a car pretty hard. We were driving and saw him and thought he was an animal previously killed by other cars, but he was moving! So we turned around to see if he was okay. He wasn't moving too much anymore, but still breathing, and I couldn't just leave him there. So I very carefully picked him up and put him on the tailgate of the truck, where I sat with him the rest of the way home. I put him on a soft pad in the garage and cleaned him up. The poor cat started having trouble breathing, but as soon as I lifted him paw, he started breathing a little more normally. It was well past midnight, and there were no vets open, so I prayed for a miracle that he would make it through the night. I checked his senses. His ear would go back as I touched it, but he couldn't follow me with his eyes. I could tell that a lot of his bones were broken. I felt absolutely horrible for him. Unfortunately, I knew he was gonna go when he vomited (animals tend to do that before they pass). I still wanted to hold onto hope, and I felt so horrible that someone had done this and didn't even stop. So I stayed with him until 3:00 AM, and finally went to bed. The poor thing had already passed away when I came rushing to see if he was okay. I wish I could've done something that could have made him survive, but it was too late:( God bless him. I named him Liam. Liam the black cat. Rest in Peace, Little Liam.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yeah, I ran into a little kitty walking in circles in the dark. When I finally corralled her, I saw blood running down her face and in her eye. She had a broken jaw, but the vet fixed it and found a home for her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts