Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and excited to be a member. I have a question about my four year old half pit, half chocolate lab dog named Bud. I want to take him on a day hike with me next week. I'm going to hike a mountain around 5,000 feet. It has clearly marked trails and is one of the most climbed mountains in Connecticut, so safety is not my worry. Bud loves going on hikes with me, he's on cloud 9 every time we do. The concern I have is the heat. It will be around a 5 to 6 hour hike, and although I will pack lots of water, I don't want him to get over heated or something.

What do you guys think, should I wait until the fall to take him with me, or will he be okay with plenty of water to drink?

Thanks!

-Jon and Bud

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Whats the weather like there? Is he fit and healthy, and used to that much exercise?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! We go for walks everyday, and down to the dog park where he runs around. But this would definitely be the longest stretch that we've done together. The weather will be in the high 80's maybe reaching low 90's

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Hmm. I would be somewhat concerned due to him not being used to that much at once- dogs are just like human athletes in that you cannot go run a marathon after a year of moderate exercise without possibly injuring yourself. 80-90 isn't too bad, but again it depends on what your dog is used to. Mine play and exercise when it's "cool" out which is 95ish around 8 in the morning and then I try to keep them entertained in the AC during the day as it's been in the 100s here.
Welcome by the way. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it sounds like it might be best to pick an easier hike. Okay well thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
We hike a lot with our dogs in NH as well as Colorado. Its all about having water available to the dogs, especially water they can get into. If there are any creeks or puddles along the way to take a dip, that helps a lot!

As always, when hiking, be ready to turn back to take care of anyone on your "team" human or canine. If you get an early start and do it in the cool of the day, that's helps too. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
We go hiking too sometimes and even though both my dogs where never that much exercised before on hiking but only on walks and runs at the park they did all right and they had extra energy to burn even when we got back home. But we did have some stops for rest and water.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It depends on their age as well. Shirley's ok for her age (13) but I know she doesn't have the same stamina she had when she was young.

Sluice water on his tummy to cool him down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts