Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our routine every day for the past 2 years has been to play for a couple hours after i get home from work, go for a long walk, dinner, then relax (she would lay on the couch next to me). And weekends were on and off walks all day, and usually a special treat on saturday. Recently, she has gotten into this habit when i stop paying attention to her, even for literally 30 seconds, she runs up stairs and and is completely out of the mood to do anything at all. She will come back down when i call her (takes a couple tries sometimes) but tail will be between her legs and seems very tense. I had been trying to call her down and give her a treat, but she refuses the treat and runs back up stairs immediately after i offer it. Strangely enough, i can immediately follow her up the stairs and she will accept the treat when we get up there.

I've tried blocking off the stairs so she simply just can't go upstairs. When i tried this, she walked around the living room all worried like with her tail between her legs. Sometimes she would come and sit infront of me just begging me to let her go upstairs.

She's not sick, i know new odd behavior can indicate sickness, but i am positive this is not the case. I can't really think of anything that happened or new downstairs that she might be afraid of. As i said she's fine down stairs as long as i play with her continuously, even stopping for 30 seconds causes her to run off.

I considered maybe i accidentally conditioned her to think she needed to go upstairs to get attention, but I'm not sure that explains why she gets so nervous and tense whenever this switch goes off to make her want to be upstairs.

I don't know how to get this to stop. Should I just ignore her unless she's down stairs? I think she would stay up there all day honestly, id probably never see her. Or keep trying to incentivize her to come back down? Block off the stairs for a while? Anyone else dealt with something similar?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would leave it for a while and see what she does. Maybe all of this attention on the subject is making her nervous. Let her come to you and treat and praise her when she does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts