Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
i got a chocolate lab 1 month back he is just over 2 months ...as i live in a building i potty trained to do his thing on a news paper which i keep for him ...n he always did his thing there ....but since last 2 days he has been doin his thing all over my house plz help me n tell me how do i correct this behaviour

another problem i have is tht my dog like to chew for eg u r hand or u r jeans i keep on saying no to him but he never listens ....i give him a bot n dog chew sticks he stops for some time but than again he tries to bite u r u r jeans ....i have tried to leave him all alone when he does tht or put him in a box to let him knw if he does tht play time is over ...he stops for sometime but he is back at it again wat am i suppose to do ....

frnds this is my first dog so plz help me ....i wanna train him ....and at present the only command he understands is "sit" which too he follows at his will ............plzzzzzzzzz help

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
First and foremost, do not use the word NO anymore. This is a correction and babies do not understand it and most dogs do not react to it well.

So you got him 1 month ago and he is just barely over 2 months? Sounds like a case of a dog leaving his mother WAAAAAY too early. If you got this dog under about 8 weeks old you are probably going to experience some simple problems. Just redirect him to a toy when he is biting or chewing where he should not.

A dog at the age of 2 months is NOT going to be potty trained...it takes months. He needs to go outside for regular potty breaks, newspapers or puppy pads (which are more recommended instead of newspaper) are just for when he really has to go but you can't get him out in time. Does this make sense?

Simply pick him up and place him on the newspaper where he is suppose to go potty, do NOT correct him.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure if the dog is 2 months now or that you meant you got him when he was about 2 months which would now make him 3 months. If he is just 2 months now then pawz is right, he was taken away from his mother too early and puppy mothers are the ones that help teach bite inhibition. If he is 3 months now then you have a puppy who just needs to learn boundaries. Whenever he goes to bite you yelp loudly and it should snap him out of it, do this each time he tries mouthing on you. Puppies go through teething stages just like human babies so make sure there are plenty of toys for him to naw on instead.

Also puppy pads and newspaper is not very effective for potty training, as pawz said they're more of a last resort option. I would consider crate training your puppy whenever you're not at home. Also anytime your puppy gets done eating, sleeping, playing, etc. you'll want to take him outside to go potty and when he goes outside praise him for it.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome!!

Pups chew-they'll grow out of it, no need to correct him mouthing your hand or clothing. Ensure he has proper things to chew and PLENTY of exerciese. A lab is not a dog for a couch potato!! MANY walks are in order.

Start puppy classes. This will help you with behaviors, training and getting an obedient dog.

If you have carpet-rent a steam cleaner or buy one and get the smell of any potty mistakes out of the carpet. If it remotely smells to them like potty (remember, they can semll 10000 times better then us at least) they will go there again ;) And then ditto the advice Pawz gave ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts