Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking it would be a good idea to take out some health insurance for my dog, but a google search returned a lot of options and I have never heard of any of the companies.

Does anyone know of a reputable pet insurance company? What does it cost?

Thanks in advance!
-Mike-

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry Mike! I don't, I only now the horse insurance stuff! But please keep us posted on this topic, if you do end up getting it. This could be very helpful to others in our community!
Cheers!
GG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do!
I talked to the Vet yesterday and she said it is very uncommon here. In fact, she said that only about 5 customers in their entire practice carry it at all. She mentioned two which she felt were reputable, and I wrote them down at work. I can only remember one now, but I will post the other later. The one I remember is the ASPCA pet insurance. Their website has several different plans from which to choose.

I was surprised that so few people carried it. Maybe it is not such a good idea. I'll need to do more research.

-Mike-

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hm. I am no help. =P It's never anything I would probably get. But yes, research, as you are doing. Maybe you'll find something with great reviews and such. If you do decide to get it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other pet insurance the vet recommended was called VPI. I went to their website and you have to select your dog breed (ASPCA had me do the same thing) but Labradoodle was not in the drop-down list for VPI (but it was in the ASPCA list) so I could not request a quote.

-Mike-

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mike- I just wanted to make a quick comment that might be helpful to you or others who don't have pet insurance (or even their own or limited insurance coverage) It's called CareCredit. Here is the link:
CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

They are like a credit card in the aspect that they pay the doctor and you pay them. Same as cash for 12 mons. After that there is interest. You apply and they approve you for a specific amount. But, unlike a credit card. Ypu have tot apply for each visit. I used this for some dental work recently, but they also work with vets! How cool is that!

Anyway, I have a question for you: do you think that the cost of the insurace is worth what you are paying for as far as thing that are covered?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our vet said that it wasn't worth it because depending on your dogs breed, they don't cover a lot. They look at the most common problems of a breed and exclude all those from their coverage. For example: if you have a lab and labs are known for hip displasia (sp?), they won't cover that if your dog develops it. Our vet suggested putting what we would spend on pet insurance away from the day we adopted the dog into an account for when they may need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't agree with Oneisa more. I did some serious Math one time and it just didn't work out. If you decided to go for it, make sure you read the ALL the fine prints. Anyway, the two I was looking at are:

1. www.petinsurance.com (Got a brochure from my vet's office)
2. Optimum Wellness Plans (Saw it at PetSmart/Banfield but I'm not really sure about their vets...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
for pet insurance we have Trupanion and i like it so far. they don't have any breed exclusions and the monthly payments don't go up as the dog gets older.
as far as whether its worth it, usually the people who gain most from it are those with the unlucky pets, but it's good to have especially in these times when you never know if a huge vet bill will show up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Insurance

Hello,
I have had a few dogs over the years and always wondered about insurance especially after our last "Friend" ended with a brain tumor. For what will be my last (can't go through that again) I decided to get insurance and settled on PETCARE Insurance, they are at petcareinsurance.com mostly due to the fact the rates remained stable and they covered everyting I wanted covered. We have a LARGE Sheperd/Lab maybe Great Dane or Shetland pony(LOL) cross. The hips etc needed to be covered. When He was about 1 1/2 he had pain in His elbows and hips. Our vet sent us to the Vet. University Hospital in Guelph ON. It went well but at that age not much they could do yet. The total bill with that and my vet was over $2900 and I thought OK lets see what this insurance does. No problems, I have coverage for 80% because it was a good rate, welll they sent me a cheque in the mail within 2 weeks for the 80%. To me the insurance has already more then paid for itself and I have used it a few times since then for certain blood tests or x-rays.
I never worry about what the cost will be, I know if You Love Your pet You don't either and I never did with Our "Friends" that had no insurance but this sure makes it a lot easier.
Highly recommend it myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just started here. I work at a shelter and we give out a free 30 day pet insurance with each adoption. You can also purchase this insurance on your own. It is very good, low cost. You can go to sheltercare.com. Let me know what you think. Hope i helped out some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts