Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well for the past couple years my dog has got along fine with my cat. But recently she has started whining whenever he is in the room, I can cover her face up with a blanket but sometimes she uncovers her face. Just the other day also while I headed into the bathroom and closed the door, something happened I don't know what but my dog somehow made the cat hiss at her.

Someone please help me as soon as possible Because I worry that I might end up with a dead cat Because nobody is Home with them between 8:00 A.M to 12:40 P.M

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Close the cat in the bathroom if you can't supervise. Considering this is a sudden behavior change, I would take the dog to the vet and get his thyroid checked and bloodwork done.

Has anything big happened that might be stressing the dog out? Did you move, intro new family members, family members left, etc.? That could also be the cause.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Ok well for the past couple years my dog has got along fine with my cat. But recently she has started whining whenever he is in the room, I can cover her face up with a blanket but sometimes she uncovers her face. Just the other day also while I headed into the bathroom and closed the door, something happened I don't know what but my dog somehow made the cat hiss at her.

Someone please help me as soon as possible Because I worry that I might end up with a dead cat Because nobody is Home with them between 8:00 A.M to 12:40 P.M
That happened with us. My pup grew up with my two cats but all of the sudden after 3 years attacked my oldest cat and took a bite out of her butt. I felt the same way that if my dog caught the cat she would kill her. The important thing it to give the cat a safe place to go it the dog chases. We put a baby gate across the stairs so the cats could get away from the dogs if they needed to. Then we followed this it took about 2 months of letting the cat and dog be together but not allowed to touch and the dog lost interest in the cat. That was about 2 years ago and nothing has happened between them since we did the desensitization training.

<> DIAMONDS in the RUFF - Cat Chasing <>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually my brother he kinda left town without anyone knowing like a couple months ago, she really hasn't ever liked cats to much but she leaves them alone if they give her the personnel space she wants, I don't know if my cat did something that she didn't like or what.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I'd rule out anything medical first, and then try some of the things the link suggests. For my dog and cat, it was just a matter of giving them treats together several times a day for a month to get them to get along, but this was not a new behavior for them; it was when I first intro'ed them.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The cat has plenty of places to get away from the dog but sometimes he intentionally comes over where my dog is.
If the cat is coming to the dog that means the cat is not afraid so I would stand back and let them work it out if you think there is no danger to the cat. The cat may hiss for the dog to back off but that is fine, the cat is just setting the limits just like when a dog growls off another dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'll try that, thank you. Unfortunately we can not get her into the vet until this Friday because that's when my dad gets paid but my mom promised me we will take her then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts