Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 25 lb, 5 year old poodle mix. He has his own bed but prefers to sleep with us. Lately, he has had trouble jumping up on the bed at night. During the day he jumps higher. I turn on the light but he still has trouble. He eventually gets up on his own. He used to occasionally miss getting up but not regularly. He sometimes has trouble jumping if he is carrying something in his mouth.

He walks and runs fine.I can touch his legs and it does not bother him. He seems pretty healthy, but he has environmental allergies and spondylosis that has not bothered him. He strained his leg a few years ago, but we rested it and it healed fine. I don’t know how he hurt it. We have wood flooring. The temp drops to 50-60s F. At night.

should we get something to put near the bed that he Could climb up to the bed on?
Is it something that we can wait and see if it improves on its own? It just started a couple of days ago,

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
We have a 25 lb, 5 year old poodle mix. He has his own bed but prefers to sleep with us. Lately, he has had trouble jumping up on the bed at night. During the day he jumps higher. I turn on the light but he still has trouble. He eventually gets up on his own. He used to occasionally miss getting up but not regularly. He sometimes has trouble jumping if he is carrying something in his mouth.

He walks and runs fine.I can touch his legs and it does not bother him. He seems pretty healthy, but he has environmental allergies and spondylosis that has not bothered him. He strained his leg a few years ago, but we rested it and it healed fine. I don’t know how he hurt it. We have wood flooring. The temp drops to 50-60s F. At night.

should we get something to put near the bed that he Could climb up to the bed on?
Is it something that we can wait and see if it improves on its own? It just started a couple of days ago,
Hi. I'd get a ramp or a set of doggy stairs for him so that he doesn't have to jump up - especially as he already has spinal problems.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Couple of questions.

• is this EVERY day or only after certain activities? The thought behind this is that if your dog isn't overly fit and you run him hard on a given day that he might be stiff and awkward that night. If it's every day it might have other causes.
  • is it getting worse?
  • did it start suddenly or has it been building up?

I also have a 5 year old, 25lb poodle. Mine's not a mix but he can jump a lot higher than the bed. The basic mechanical ability of a poodle or a poodle+ of that size should allow it to jump on a bed with complete ease. You're right to think that there is something off. Maybe a checkup at the vet will reveal something.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of questions.

• is this EVERY day or only after certain activities? The thought behind this is that if your dog isn't overly fit and you run him hard on a given day that he might be stiff and awkward that night. If it's every day it might have other causes.
  • is it getting worse?
  • did it start suddenly or has it been building up?
I also have a 5 year old, 25lb poodle. Mine's not a mix but he can jump a lot higher than the bed. The basic mechanical ability of a poodle or a poodle+ of that size should allow it to jump on a bed with complete ease. You're right to think that there is something off. Maybe a checkup at the vet will reveal something.

• he has had trouble in the past, but I would say it is getting worse because it has been every night-the past few nights. We have not been doing anything different.
OT: what kind of poodle? He is part mini poodle but a big mix. Looks like a large cockapoo.
I agree steps or ramp. Is he on anything for arthritis because of the spine problem?
Definitely going to get a ramp. He has not been on anything, but I can add supplements. He does get cytopoint for allergies.

I am going to contact the vet. I think it may be arthritis catching up with him. He is so young but-the spondylosis was seen on X-ray at 2 years . He had strained his leg andit was an incidental finding when they ruled out a break. I got him (re homed) at 9 months.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

• he has had trouble in the past, but I would say it is getting worse because it has been every night-the past few nights. We have not been doing anything different.
Sounds like something to flag to your vet.

OT: what kind of poodle? He is part mini poodle but a big mix. Looks like a large cockapoo.
My dog? In Europe they distinguish 3 sizes. A "toy" (very small... like a chihuahua), a standard poodle (size like a doberman) and a "mid size" poodle, which is +/- 10kg and just under knee height. My dog is a "mid size".

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Definitely an exam at the vet would be in order, especially as it is getting worse.
In my experience, ramps are better than steps because if the steps are not just the right conformation for your dog's body and leg lengths, and are therefore not entirely comfortable they won't use them. I found that just buying steps that are supposed to be for the size of my dog never worked out for him.

My elder dog has become much more mobile since the vet and I put him on Rimadyl daily. but of course, that doesn't mean I would let him jump up or off anything higher than a few inches. He wouldn't use a ramp, so I took the legs off the bed and put a big cushion down next to it so he can get up and down on his own.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Agree you should have your Vet examine him. I would suspect something hurts which would account for his reluctance to jump. Your Vet will probably want to image his spinal column, to either confirm a spinal issue, or to eliminate that as a possibility. I also would suggest that you get some steps or a ramp for him, so he doesn't have to jump. We have had steps for ours for years, she uses them all the time.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My poodle is a mid-sized purebred. He's about 10kg (22-25lbs). I've also had a female cocker spaniel in the past, which was smaller. The male of the litter was also about 10kg and about the same size as a mid-sized poodle. I've never had a cockapoo. The ones I've seen seemed more like spaniels than poodles to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. Vet took an X-ray and the spondylosis is worse. He showed me a calcium bridge on the X-ray, but I am not sure what that means. He is allowed to jump if he wants but we should assist him if he has trouble. He gave me some pain and anti inflammatory medicine to keep on hand in case it gets worse, but right now he does not need anything. Oh and he has gained weight which puts strain on his back. So, I have to cut back on treats.

Reactions: Schnauzaluv

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to see the vet and figure out the issue. Too bad the spondylosis has progressed, but at least you have a backup plan for treatment and prevention.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts