Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to anyone reading this. My dog is a one year old American/English bulldog mix who is very healthy and active. Today around 5:30 am I heard him gagging so I got up to check if he was doing alright. I turned on the light to see him sitting in front of a thick, lumpy blob of throw up. It was all in one clump, about 1 cup of the substance was all that came out. It was light brownish yellow in color. A couple hours later I gave him breakfast and he sniffed it and ate a little bit but seemed pretty uninterested. I’m really worried and I’m having trouble finding any information about this type of vomit. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
For some more background info:
  • he usually eats most or all of his food as soon as he gets it, so its kind of strange that he wasn’t interested in the food
  • he takes Benadryl (as prescribed by his vet) to help with seasonal allergies most days
  • he has had some diarrhea lately, but not often enough to be problematic
  • he has developed a small red rash on hos tummy over the last few days but it doesn’t seem to be bothering him

·
Super Moderator
4,187 Posts
Hi. I usually treat things like this in the same way if it happened to me - I wouldn't rush to the doctor if I just had a single instance of throwing up, so I wouldn't rush to the vet with my dog. But if it continued, I definitely would.

The reluctance to eat this morning could be because he is still feeling a bit off.

I'd feed him a bland diet today - scrambled eggs, or boiled white fish with boiled rice. Also keep the water you boil the fish in to add to his normal water to tempt him to drink so he doesn't get dehydrated.

Let us know how he gets on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts