Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Here is my story, after spending several thousands of dollars I am eager to find a safe solution for my dog. She is a 5 years old husky weighing 50lbs. A lot of people kept telling me to get her spayed earlier but I had my reasons at the time. Nevertheless I finally decided to get her spayed in January after my vet convinced me that she shouldnt get spay incontinence. Her blood work came back fine and the surgery went well, however she was maybe a week away from going into heat (the vet kept rescheduling). As with most dogs she didnt want to eat the first day, she refused to walk so I had to carry her in and she slept on her for bed for quite some time. She cried the rest of the night. She wore a cone for 3 weeks straight and only used elevators to go outside. Complications began 2 days after the spay. She was perscribed NSAID which she took two doses of before she started throwing up 4-5 times about 9 hours after the last dose, I called an emergency vet and the vet said if she thows up again to bring her in. The next day I called my vet and they told me to stop giving the NSAID. They also reviewed her severe bruising and said that she needs to walk around less. Now the next day she started peeing blood outside and her whole bed was cover in vaginal discharge. I took her in and they gave her antibiotics for 7 days. She took them regularly and the pee changed to yellow. Day 6 of the antibiotics she began peeing her bed while sleeping. I called the vet and after testing her urine they prescribed DES as they thought the incontinence is due to low estrogen as she was just about to go into heat and that it was a shock on her body losing all the estrogen. I gave DES once a day for 7 days. She was completely dry. Then as instructed I started lowering the dose to every 2nd day, the 4th day she started leaking puddles right after walking outside even though she would pee three times on the walks. I called the vet and he told me to go back to giving DES everyday for several weeks. Because she was taking an unatutrally high dose I was extremely skeptical. Even on the highest does she started dripping so I immediately took her off and called the vet. The vet prescribed her proin with terrible side effects (hypertension 18%, blindness, seizures, death). I decided to try the natural way so I started giving her a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and no more leaks. It helped for 4 days. Now the leaks have started again and not only that about a week later she is now having diarrhea and lost control twice in the house. She was completely house trained before the spay. Can anyone please help me find a solution, is this even spay incontinence or could this be kidney disease from the NSAID?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Here is my story, after spending several thousands of dollars I am eager to find a safe solution for my dog. She is a 5 years old husky weighing 50lbs. A lot of people kept telling me to get her spayed earlier but I had my reasons at the time. Nevertheless I finally decided to get her spayed in January after my vet convinced me that she shouldnt get spay incontinence. Her blood work came back fine and the surgery went well, however she was maybe a week away from going into heat (the vet kept rescheduling). As with most dogs she didnt want to eat the first day, she refused to walk so I had to carry her in and she slept on her for bed for quite some time. She cried the rest of the night. She wore a cone for 3 weeks straight and only used elevators to go outside. Complications began 2 days after the spay. She was perscribed NSAID which she took two doses of before she started throwing up 4-5 times about 9 hours after the last dose, I called an emergency vet and the vet said if she thows up again to bring her in. The next day I called my vet and they told me to stop giving the NSAID. They also reviewed her severe bruising and said that she needs to walk around less. Now the next day she started peeing blood outside and her whole bed was cover in vaginal discharge. I took her in and they gave her antibiotics for 7 days. She took them regularly and the pee changed to yellow. Day 6 of the antibiotics she began peeing her bed while sleeping. I called the vet and after testing her urine they prescribed DES as they thought the incontinence is due to low estrogen as she was just about to go into heat and that it was a shock on her body losing all the estrogen. I gave DES once a day for 7 days. She was completely dry. Then as instructed I started lowering the dose to every 2nd day, the 4th day she started leaking puddles right after walking outside even though she would pee three times on the walks. I called the vet and he told me to go back to giving DES everyday for several weeks. Because she was taking an unatutrally high dose I was extremely skeptical. Even on the highest does she started dripping so I immediately took her off and called the vet. The vet prescribed her proin with terrible side effects (hypertension 18%, blindness, seizures, death). I decided to try the natural way so I started giving her a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and no more leaks. It helped for 4 days. Now the leaks have started again and not only that about a week later she is now having diarrhea and lost control twice in the house. She was completely house trained before the spay. Can anyone please help me find a solution, is this even spay incontinence or could this be kidney disease from the NSAID?
Ok, I am not a vet. Let me just let you know but I can give advice. The first sounds like a kidney disease. Personally I think the vaginal discharge is from when she went into heat and then too surgery it effected her vaginal movements. Do you know if she has ever been pregnant? My dog did the same thing he started peeing and pooping everywhere. The way I am correcting it is taking him outside more. For the female let her outside for awhile to do her business. I bought diapers ( I can send pictures of what they look like) or you can make them at home if you know how to sew. The peeing is normal. They got used to being babied so now they think it’s okay. I recommend waiting for the results from the vet before being any other tests.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried DES and they worked for a week and then they stopped working. Read the side effects for PROIN and read some stories and am really scared to give it to her. I tried leaks no more and apple cider vinegar which helped for 4 days and now stopped working. After peeing three times on walks she leaks puddles in the house, when waking up there are drops or puddles as well. This has become a nightmare, started about a week after her spay

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok, well... I don't want to sound rude but you started out well by consulting the vet as things changed and following their advice. At some point you became skeptical and then started an alternative treatment that you dreamt up yourself and now you're on the internet looking for strangers who will most certainly not be veterinarians to advise you about what to do next.

My advice on what to do next is to take the dog back to the vet. If you don't trust your vet any more then by all means look for someone to give you a second opinion. That person, however, will be another vet who you can take the dog to see live. This is too important to trust to random strangers who are almost certain to lack the medical qualifications you need.

Good luck! I sincerely hope you and your vet can sort this out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ive tried DES and they worked for a week and then they stopped working. Read the side effects for PROIN and read some stories and am really scared to give it to her. I tried leaks no more and apple cider vinegar which helped for 4 days and now stopped working. After peeing three times on walks she leaks puddles in the house, when waking up there are drops or puddles as well. This has become a nightmare, started about a week after her spay
It's generally not a good idea on forum sites to start multiple threads on the same topic. I would advise you to keep the discussion on the other thread you started earlier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts