Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my names is Aaron. Im new to the site. Im looking forward to all the tips and tricks from everyone.

1st things 1st.
My dogs name is Zeus he is a lab mix from what I was told. Vet suggested Lab, German Shepard, Pitbull, or maybe chow cause the black spots on his toung, so a heins 57. While on this subject how much would dna test cost.

TO THE QUESTION
So Zeus has these scabs on his back maybe around 6-8 scabs about tick size. He has always been a itcher since I got him as a puppy at around 7-8 weeks old. I keep him clean give him a bath every two weeks or so. He gets his monthly treatment of front line plus every month around the 1st. I dont seems to be helping him out any. I feel really bad and don't know what to do I tried everything. He is a year old now and seems to be getting worse. He Losing hair from scratching and biting himself so much sometimes he will even whimper while doing it. I though maybe an allergy from his dog food was doing this to him so I weaned him onto different food. Buying food for him is hard cause he is picky about some dog food and will not eat like he should. I've also noticed on his stomach he has a red rash all over. As well as a dark marking around his penis and some on his stomach started noticing it after he was fixed at around 5 months. A Black like bruse started by his testicles and looks like started moving up to his stomach. It don't seem to bother him as all. I never though it was anything big so I ignored it thinking was the pigment of skin was changing from getting older. His fur is not like it used to be shinny clean looking coat. Not it feels a little more corse. Especially around his back legs by his but. He chews there the most making hair thin out and skin irritation. I googled these things on him and there was numerous things these symptoms could be. Im hoping me giving decent detail on this would give me a little more help then what I was getting on google. Please help with all my questions I feel sorry for him cause I can't help stop the itchy irritation even with a antiseptic spray it doesn't seem to help all that well just gives him little relief wont itch or chew cause the taste of the stuff. Irritation still going on after use. I put it on him few times a day when I notice him itching again. I can't exactly put it on him 24/7 cause I work and im sure he scratches and digs when Im gone. This may be something to the cause of all this. Where im staying there is like 5 or 6 cats in the house that come in and go as they want. I know they get there dose of frontline every month or so during the warmer months. Maybe allergy to cats. It seems to get worse over the warmer months. I've only had him about a year and the owner I am I notice every little thing bout him. I know when something not right with him cause the bond we have. He even has me itch where we can't really get to my putting his head under my hand and picking it up throwing onto his back and move forward to the place he needs taken care of.

Sorry so long I just wanted to get all the facts so no questions Are asked hopefully I gave good detail on this and I can attend to this asap.

Thanks
Aaron.
You can private message me or just write here In the thread.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We will try to help!
First, can you answer a few questions.

1) What food are you feeding him? More specifically, can you please go to the bag of food and write down here what the first few ingredients are.

2) Have you asked your vet to do a "skin scraping" yet? This is when the vet takes as small sample from his skin to check for mites and to look at the skin cells.

I think you are right to be concerned about your boy's comfort. There are several things that could be causing this. Hopefully you can get him treated and better soon!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed him ol Roy. Maybe not the best food. I don't keep the bag empty out into huge container. I've have been having trouble finding a dog food that he likes. He seems not to like anything I got him. Have yet to take to the vet work hours don't work out with my vets hours. Maybe changing him to a high quality food? I really don't know what to get with out paying an arm and a leg. If I gotta buy it make him better I will have to.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome to the club...of dogs that don't like to eat certain foods. :p Welcome to the forum also. I'm sorry to hear about your fella, theirs probably some cream the vet could give you, or you could buy at the store. I'm not sure about that though. You could try a different more high quality food, if you're dog will eat it. Foods that are more high quality def. will help his coat.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tess, I looked up the ingredients online, and the first few appear to be corn, then soybean meal, then wheat, and corn syrup.

Okay, how big are these scabs and rashes? How long has he had them/ when did they appear? Can you maybe show us some pictures of this?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
To be honest, you've hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of dog food. It would be difficult to find another food as low in quality as Ol Roy! (google is your friend)

Corn is the main ingredient, which is a common cause of allergies in dogs, sometimes manifests in skin symptoms. The rest of it ain't that good either!

That said, if he were my dog, I would do two things...
1) Take him to the vet for a skin scraping to check for mange mites
2) Change foods to a much higher quality food.

Many folks around here recommend Taste of the Wild, as a good quality food at a reasonable price. There are many options. There are lots of threads here about food.

Just one more thought... feeding a low quality food is like raising your kids on McDonalds and a vitamin pill. Yes, it will keep the kids alive, and they won't have any obvious nutrient deficiencies, but in the long run, they are going to have huge health problems.
Investing in quality food now, and throughout your dog's life, will be worth it in terms of health and happiness, and probably less vet bills too!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not the master of dog foods, because my dog doesn't eat high quality stuff. She won't eat high quality foods. Here's a list you might try. Do a little research, look at the ingredents. You want to first few to be meats.

You might look at:

Taste Of The Wild
Blue Buffalo
Orijin
Pelican Bay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reese eats Taste of the Wild and I have never have any problems with it. She is very picky about the flavor we give her, but there are a lot of different flavors to choose from. I would definitelyrecommend it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Remember, just because a food is expensive, doesn't mean it's good! :) It looks like Royal Canin isn't the best food out there. Looking at the first few ingredients, which are chicken meal, brown rice, and rice, that's definatly not the smartest choice either. You might want to look at one of these.

Taste Of The Wild
Orijen
Wellness
Innova
Blue Buffalo
Canidae
Before Grain
Pelican Bay
Kirkland

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never knew food makes so much difference. Never had these problems with my dog as a kid and im sure we feed them dads or something cheap like that. But thanks ill look into it hope that does the trick. Still trying to get a day off so I am able to get Zeus to the vet. I can't really just give up day of work. Hope they are open on a Saturday so I get him checked out. Vet didn't say nothing about his rash last time or thinning hair from scratching it wasn't as bad. Ill keep itch cream handy an that handy see if helps with anything

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Royal Canine is also a pretty low quality food.

Look as far as the vet and the skin thing goes, you can be in charge... don't wait for the vet to see/say something. You are the one who lives with the dog and knows what's up. The vet sees the dog for 5 minutes, so the way to get something done is to bring the issue to his/her attention. ;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Never knew food makes so much difference. Never had these problems with my dog as a kid and im sure we feed them dads or something cheap like that. But thanks ill look into it hope that does the trick. Still trying to get a day off so I am able to get Zeus to the vet. I can't really just give up day of work. Hope they are open on a Saturday so I get him checked out. Vet didn't say nothing about his rash last time or thinning hair from scratching it wasn't as bad. Ill keep itch cream handy an that handy see if helps with anything

Food has changed ingrediants over the years. Many foods started good and then slowly turned to crap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i fed my dog, Rocky, supermarket foods his whole life. He's 11 now. i thought i was doing him a favor by getting the higher priced foods like kibbles n bits or beneful. after researching, i figured out they really arent that great. a bit over a month ago i switched him and my new pup, darla, to Taste of the Wild. it costs a bit more but is so well worth it. Rocky has become so much more active. He runs more, plays fetch again (something he hasnt done in 2 or 3 years!) and is truly enjoying his senior years much more. He has always had this unpleasant odor to his coat. even right after a bath, he had it. I just figured it was just him. Since i've changed his diet he's lost that nasty odor, his coat is slowly getting better, and he had awful gas, its now almost completely gone. I live on a budget like most people these days, but i am sold on the higher quality food.

on a note about allergies, My pup, darla is allergic to chicken. I was stunned to figure out a dog could be allergic to any meat. but since i've taken all chicken out of her diet, she has more energy and her stools are so much better formed. BTW those cheap dog foods have a side effect of more poo! so by getting the better foods you have less pooper scooping in the yard! <grin>

·
Registered
298 Posts
Plus, Royal Canin is an expensive food. If you are willing to buy something that pricey for him, you can get a high quality food for the same price. Remember, people can sell horrible dog food for a big price. Just because you are buying the food that costs the most on the shelf, doesn't mean your buying your dog the best food for the price.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Just be careful with the "itch creams". If your dog has mites, a cortisone based cream will actually make the situation worse, as it weakens the dog's defense system.

Get the vet to do a skin scraping to check for mites (mange) if you want to eliminate that as a cause somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess I didn't say that clear enough. If you were to get any kind of cream/ medication or any thing, get it from the vet, or get if the vet reccomends it for he problem. Are you planning on taking him in? You could call to see if you could just go out and buy something that will actually help. I agree with Tess, you should get a skin scraping when you go, because we've been along the path of mange before...and it's not fun.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hmmm a thought that came to my mind was (beside the food) that his skin might be too dry. i wouldn't bath him every too weeks, that's too much. Especially if you're using shampoo. That destroys the natural protection of the skin. This might not be the cause of his itching but maybe had its part in making it worse.
Does he like raw meat? Maybe, if he's so picky, you could have a go at barfing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I just did a little research here and Im almost 100%certain certain Zeus has mange. :-( I never had to deal with this b4. I know Im calling vet tomorrow to set up the appointment so he can be taken care of. Any idea how much it would be exactly? Id pay whatever but I wanna know what to expect. I dont know if this is something the vet want to attend to right away? In the mean time what can I do for him to ease the intense itching. I dont want any skin damage to be cause and want him to be at ease till I get him to the vet. He has the signs of mange. He shows all signs of demodetic scabies such as - pink and red skin even some spots are black in color does not wash off. Also noticed the rash and pimples on his ears. Says does not cause intense itching witch he has does. Says its cause is an immune system defiency I dont understand why. The food he is eating? He runs and plays like normal. He does drink drink lots of water and pee alot. Every 30 min I could go out and he will be for a good 20 sec or longer. I though he just pee alot always been like that since day one.

Then you have this other type called scabies mange that he also shows symptoms of the like - scabs on his skin down his back. And few hairless patches on him... Could be possible to have both kinds? And constant itch.

Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
298 Posts
Poor guy. I'm sorry to hear he has mange, I thought that might be it. :( Atleast your taking him to the vet so that he can heal up. When Allie had mange it started around her eye and then moved to her muzzle. From there it spread. Atleast you're catching it fairly soon.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts