Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been diagnosed with heartworms yesterday.

We are probably going to do the slow kill method and this is our reasoning.

Our dog is crazy active and has separation anxiety and we feel like the 6-8 weeks of 0 activity that is required for fast kill would be extremely risky.
We feel more confident in restricting his exercise drastically but not completely and using the slow kill method.

I've read a couple studies where advantage multi heart worm drug was able to kill off or shorten the lifespan of the heartworms leading to a dog testing HW negative after 6 months in 8 of 11 dogs.

Does anyone have any personal stories/experience with this drug and the slow kill method?

Thanks for all your help and opinions

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Sorry your pup has heartworm. The best advice I can advise is to follow what your Vet has said to do. Do you have a crate, is your pup crate trained? Please do not give your pup heart guard at this point, from what my vet said it could be fatal.

Hoping for the best for you.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
At this point, regardless of what you would like to do, let your Vet decide on the best course of treatment, then follow his/her advice. Heartworms are 100% fatal left unchecked, or inadequately treated. From what our Vet says, its much easier to prevent, and very difficult to treat, though certainly the earlier they are detected, the better the chances for a good outcome.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My parents adopted an Aussie that ended up having heartworms. They went for the fast kill because our vet said it was the most effective method.

I'm not not really sure why the slow kill method would allow your dog more exercise; from what I understand it isn't the treatment that poses a risk but the heartworms themselves. The heartworms can become dislodged and that would be fatal.

It wasn't fun for anyone to have her crated for that amount of time. Even after 8 weeks she still had heartworms and had to be crated another month longer. Thankfully after that she was clear.

I just can't imagine the stress and risk of the slow kill method, personally. I'd rather just bite the bullet and get it over with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts