Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old (soon to be 5, on the 22nd of this month) unaltered female Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix has bloody diarrhea. She had this about 5/6 months ago. She isn't lethargic, she will eat, she is traumatizing the cats (playfully), and seems fine other than her loose bloody stool. She usually comes into heat in June/December the same time both these instances have happened. Are they related? Since she isn't lethargic and willing to eat, she is going on a bland diet, starting with homemade chicken/rice broth.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Blood anywhere from an unknown cause, requires a trip to the Vet for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Personally I'd want to get to the bottom of it, and if my vet was not saying to bring her in I'd find a different vet that took such symptoms more seriously.

Think of it like this. If your child had bloody, soft, stool and you called the pediatrician asking if you should take her to the ER of if you should just bring her in to see him. You told the pediatrician that she was still playing, not complaining of pain, and still had a good appetite, and that DR said, "Oh just feed her a bland diet and keep an eye on her.", would you be comfortable with that advice, or would you be on the phone to a different pediatrician?

Something is going on internally, in her GI tract, that is causing her to bleed from the rectum. It could be something as mild as mildly irritated intestines, to something much more serious, it's best to get to the bottom of it since it's recurring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the advice, but I did ask are her being in heat and this related? I trust my vet wholeheartedly, and the 24 hour vet told me the same thing. This isn't the first time this happened, (BTW she still has loose stools but it wasn't bloody and it seems to be firming up some). I am curious as to if this could be related to her heat cycle.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
No, bloody diarrhea and being in heat is not related. Something is going on with the digestive system potentially. Any bloody diarrhea should always be a concern to a vet. It could be something minor, or the beginning of something worse. I would be making an appointment with another vet if yours isn't concerned...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Interesting that it's not because this is the only time it has happened. However this morning her bowel movement is hardening up (almost back to normal) and no blood at all. As far as the vet goes, I trust my vet (they have saved my cats lives plenty of times, and took good care of my dogs as well as me when needed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts