Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexi, my lurcher cross has really sensitive skin. I cant leave a collar on her as it rubs her bald and her skin underneath goes really pink so I only put it on when we are out on walks.
I am currently walking her in a harness with a front attachment because although she is learning, she still pulls a lot so this helps - however this too is now rubbing her skin quite badly and she was very red under her chest last night and I can see where the hair is starting to rub off.

Any ideas what else I could use on her that wont rub or irritate her sensitive skin?
I don't want to use a head collar but am open to any harness suggestions - I can attach a front D-ring myself if needs be but at the moment its such a pain that I feel bad walking her when I know its uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Have you tried harness that have a soft lining? and I think they make some out of a softer material (I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they're usually the mesh ones) rather then the basic nylon ones at most petstores. Maybe a wider softer surface might help.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Fleece might be good as a lining. There are plenty to choose from on Etsy too, which is always fun. :) I love Etsy

I know Rain has one for her dog Zody that she loves and bought from Etsy. I'm on my phone though so I have no idea how to tag her!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody is pretty much like you describe Lexi, nylon harnesses and collars rub him until his skin is red, and the clips on the harnesses will also hurt him. For added fun he chokes very easily in most harnesses, even those labeled no choke. This is the one I'm currently using and so far it works great. No chafing, no clips and buckles to aggravate him.. https://www.etsy.com/listing/198899591/small-dog-tiny-trotter-fleece-lined-dog?ref=shop_home_active_39
It does not come with a front D ring but the lady who makes the harnesses may be able to accommodate you if you ask.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I literally just bought a fleece harness about 10 minutes ago because I forgot to check here for replies.
This is the one I bought...
Pink Fleece Dog Harness Non Pulling Made In The UK by CosyDogs

But I was also looking at this one...
https://www.activehound.co.uk/collections/hurtta/products/hurtta-outdoors-active-harness

And now im kind of preferring the 2nd one more so for the durability and the drying factor - as I think the fleece one will get a bit heavy if she decides to go into water.

Anyway its bought now so il just get it and see how it goes.
Thanks

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
662 Posts
If the harness you bought doesn't work out for you, check out Indi-Dog. This company will custom make harnesses and are highly recommended in the UK dog forum.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I literally just bought a fleece harness about 10 minutes ago because I forgot to check here for replies.
This is the one I bought...
Pink Fleece Dog Harness Non Pulling Made In The UK by CosyDogs

But I was also looking at this one...
https://www.activehound.co.uk/collections/hurtta/products/hurtta-outdoors-active-harness

And now im kind of preferring the 2nd one more so for the durability and the drying factor - as I think the fleece one will get a bit heavy if she decides to go into water.

Anyway its bought now so il just get it and see how it goes.
Thanks
You may need to line the nylon straps of the harness with a bit of fleece depending on how her skin is where those straps hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts