Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
we have a 3y old dog from the shelter. She has a way of playing that scares my kids (they are not unsupervised with her). In the first days I played with her and she went always after my hands, her teeth hit my hands sometimes and she starts running against me and hurts me...she jumps like crazy.
We play tug of war and I always tell her to sit when she goes after my hands but she just loves it too much I guess...seems to be a deeply ingrained habit (well she has been 2y in the shelter).
If she has the ball I tell her to drop it and that works sometimes :) we only have her for some 4 weeks.
She seems to have some pressure woulnds on her hips so each time I want to look at them and touch her at her back she nibs (doesnt seem to be pain but who knows I am very very gentle and she seems to go after the hands once i move into that direction of her body) and jumps and wants to play...
Any tips?
Thanks,
Natalia

·
Registered
140 Posts
What breed is she ? Does she go out for walks ?
I would stop playing tuggy games and try to think of games where no contact is involved perhaps just throw balls for her . have several balls ready so if she doesn't drop them you can still throw another.

Are you training basic commands? you could ask her to sit, down or watch me (if she knows them) and reward her by throwing the ball.

You could place her toys in your yard and let her look for them .
There are puzzle toys and kongs, you can pop treats inside and that will keep her busy and hopefully help calm her down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is a mix, about 18kg she loves to chase butterflies and grashoppers and everything really that moves.
I do walk her so she can run (though she does not always come back we do that in a safe place).
She just dos not sit when I ask her to do so when she is in that playful mood.
I will try to see if she learns more commands first then.
Thanks,
Natalia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts