Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2 year old Male Cavalier King Charles who has always slept upstairs with us in our room, spending some of the night in his basket and some of the night in our bed. He started to snore very loud and was also causing us to have a very poor night sleep as he would jump on and off the bed in the night. After very tired days at work due to poor night sleeps we decided we must get him to sleep downstairs. We were worried about this but we're surprised he was totally fine with it and still appears fine with this. Since sleeping downstairs he stopped using his basket and slept on the settee, his basket had seen better days so I threw it out as wasn't used. He has slept downstairs for around 4 months now. Since he started sleeping down stairs he had began to growl at me and my partner on a night. We will simply sit beside him or talk to him or try pet him and he would growl. He is the most placid dog during the day and very overly affectionate all we do is cuddle all day however on a night if we go anywhere near him he kind of starts to skitz a little bit and sometimes puts his paw up as if please don't touch me. We just know what is causing this? We have never hit him and sort of try to ignore him when he does this but unsure if ignoring him will make it worse as it doesn't seem to be improving? It isn't every night. Only some. We are unsure if he is poorly but fine throughout the day so surely musnt be that? It definatly seems behavioural, could moving him downstairs on a night cause this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm a little bit confused with the terminology...is a settee a sofa?
Is that where you are sitting with him at night and he is growling?
Does he think the settee is his bed?

That's too bad you had to kick him out of the room. My opinion is that dogs really enjoy sleeping with their people (not necessarily on the bed, but in the room)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Have you checked with a vet about the snoring? Snoring can be perfectly normal (obviously), but if it's a new thing, and loud then a visit is a good idea (respiratory, sinus problems, throat, can make an animal snore).

I'm in support of a good nights sleep; it's important, so I am not going to criticize you for moving your dog, but the transition may be disturbing for your dog. Make sure the new place is warm and comfy, and maybe some 'talk radio' or soft music. Better yet, can you simply deny access to the bed? Would you sleep that way?

Loud snoring in a young dog could indicate health problems though, and that may influence behaviour, so I'd check that first.

Reactions: cookieface

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Have you checked with a vet about the snoring? Snoring can be perfectly normal (obviously), but if it's a new thing, and loud then a visit is a good idea (respiratory, sinus problems, throat, can make an animal snore).

I'm in support of a good nights sleep; it's important, so I am not going to criticize you for moving your dog, but the transition may be disturbing for your dog. Make sure the new place is warm and comfy, and maybe some 'talk radio' or soft music. Better yet, can you simply deny access to the bed? Would you sleep that way?

Loud snoring in a young dog could indicate health problems though, and that may influence behaviour, so I'd check that first.
Thinking the same. For a 2 year old dog to suddenly start snoring, a vet check would be in order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even when he was in his own bed on the other side of the room his snoring was so loud kept us awake ? and I know i would love to have him upstairs with us I feel so guilty and miss him on a night he is very cuddly and such a lovely dog. I thought maybe he thinks the settee is his bed now aswel, so I am going to buy him a new one tomorrow and see if that helps. But he was doing this before i got rid of his bed ?. I will definatly mention the snoring to the vet next check up as I take him every month he has had ongoing issues with his skin and eyes i put the growling down to this at first but his skin and eyes are fine at the minute and he is fine all day until night time so not convinced its that I really hope it isn't something behavioural as I just can't be tough with him to punish him hes got one of those little cute sad cavalier faces ha. Maybe he knows were soft and he gets away with it? His snoring does only happen when he lies on his back and is in a deep sleep. He has always snored a little but it has got a lot lot worse past year maybe. I'm just worried about him as when he growls it looks like he is kind of scared of us like begging us to not go near him its really horrible seeing him so upset. And he is fine one minute and then goes like that. I'm going to take him to vets about it and explain his behaviour as I just don't think it's him ? just wondered if anyone had ever experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Even when he was in his own bed on the other side of the room his snoring was so loud kept us awake ? and I know i would love to have him upstairs with us I feel so guilty and miss him on a night he is very cuddly and such a lovely dog. I thought maybe he thinks the settee is his bed now aswel, so I am going to buy him a new one tomorrow and see if that helps. But he was doing this before i got rid of his bed ?. I will definatly mention the snoring to the vet next check up as I take him every month he has had ongoing issues with his skin and eyes i put the growling down to this at first but his skin and eyes are fine at the minute and he is fine all day until night time so not convinced its that I really hope it isn't something behavioural as I just can't be tough with him to punish him hes got one of those little cute sad cavalier faces ha. Maybe he knows were soft and he gets away with it? His snoring does only happen when he lies on his back and is in a deep sleep. He has always snored a little but it has got a lot lot worse past year maybe. I'm just worried about him as when he growls it looks like he is kind of scared of us like begging us to not go near him its really horrible seeing him so upset. And he is fine one minute and then goes like that. I'm going to take him to vets about it and explain his behaviour as I just don't think it's him ? just wondered if anyone had ever experienced anything similar.
He sounds like a sweetheart. I hope he's going to be okay. We have a one-year old Yorkie who snores like an old man. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to give yous an update, the vet took a skin swab and started him on antibiotics for a skin infection. The vet also said growling just at night time can be a sign of spiromyelia an awful condition common in this breed. She said at the minute he has a reason to be growling and not himself however if antibiotics don't improve this we may need to look into further causes ?.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks for the update. Hope it all goes well-

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
Please let us know how he does with the antibiotics. I think you're on the right track of looking for a medical cause of his snoring and growling. He sounds like a sweetheart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The skin swab came back positive for staphylococcal infection. Continuing 3 weeks of antibiotics. Noticed a slight improvement in the growing at night but still gets very upset and unable to go anywhere near him. Apparenlty this infection can be difficult to get rid of just hoping the behavior improves with the antibiotics ? x

·
Registered
880 Posts
Have you tried a night-light, low volume talk radio, low volume television? Just a thought, as in maybe?
On the other hand, itches & pains from infections get worse at night (1st hand experience).
Infection pain can make a person very protective of an inflated personal space bubble--mine was about four feet before I was getting cranky/edgy with my husband--it was a very weird instinctive irrational feeling that I will never forget.
Until the infection is cleared, can you avoid triggering this? As in have him behind a gate so you don't need to invade his space bubble?
Just brain storming btw, I know you're doing your best.

Reactions: SusanLynn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh really thank you that makes me feel much more hopeful that this behaviour is down to the infection. I so hope it is as infections are treatable, don't think spiromyelia prognosis is very good and ive read its 50/50 in his breed. Can't explain how devastated we all are the thought of him being in pain breaks our hearts. He is happy as Larry through the day and getting totally spoilt with walks and he loves cuddles and treats. Thanks i will try it anything is worth a try but I really don't think it is anxiety about night time, sometimes he wags his tail and is so happy to see us as he is normally, but growls at the same time. Like as if hes saying I am so happy to see you but please please don't touch me. It's really heart breaking. I'll feedback again what vet says at his review after course of antibiotics in a few weeks. Thanks evry one for the advice

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.