Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Anna and i have a little dog (havenese mixed with shi tzu) almost two years old. We haven't groomed him for quite some time so we went and cut him very short about a week ago. After that, he has been a really difficult dog. We searched for any harm signs from the groomer but there was none, plus that she told us that he has been very kind during the whole procedure, but he is a complete different dog.
1. He doesnt want to go down on the floor
2. wants physical contact ALL the time
3. Nagging when we are away - we recorded him
4. shaking everytime he has to go out, but when he does go out he is ok with it

All in all our worries concern two subjects, firstly, is he going to be his old normal self again and secondly how should we treat him to ease a little bit this difficult time for him and us without spoiling him in a way that he will continue this behaviour just to get more attention?

Please anyone with infos, bring it on!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
We have groomed dogs of all kinds (our own and our friends dogs), so hopefully I can help.

Dogs that are groomed short can suffer from some discomfort. They may feel the breeze on them and want to sit more then usual (since their back-end feels strange). They may be cold, itchy, or feel like they aren't protected. I have seen them walk around with their tails tucked, sit down multiple times, curl up in tight balls, ect.
The best way we have found to stop this is to find a comfortable, tight (not uncomfortable) coat to let them wear for the first few days. After this they usually get right over it. I also like to tuck them under a blanket if they look cold.

It sounds like you are an awesome owner, so don't worry, he should get back to his normal self in a few days.
Let us know if he continues to show issues. Some dogs injure their back during grooming and if this is the case they may walk hunched up, shake or cry out in pain. We've had a couple dogs get hurt backs during grooming, so watch for signs of back pain.

Best of luck! : )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your advice, I will search better for these back pain signs and I hope that he will feel better soon!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I suspect he is acting the way he does, because he feels strange, with the short haircut. Once he gets used to the different feel, he should settle down. We keep Samantha short during the summer, longer during the winter, but she is used to it, so doesn't really react, much. In fact in hot weather, she seems to feel better with less hair, which is very thick and heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I experienced a similar problem with my dog. he would not leave my side and no longer wanted to go for car rides for almost 3 months. I used to take my dog every spring in order to cut down on shedding around the house. However after this experience i no longer took my dog. Anyway after the 3 months he just seemed to go back to normal little by little. Still not sure what the cause was.

I now just use grooming brushes thankfully i was able to find a great product for an affordable price that works for me. Maybe you should try the same if you use grooming for shedding purposes!

Anyway you sound like a great owner and its great that you care so much for your dog. Hope he gets back to normal soon!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dogs can be curious little beans, and frankly, sometimes I have no idea why our two dogs do what they do. But then again, they watch me while I vacuum and have no idea while I'm pushing around this big loud thing, so I guess they probably feel the same way, lol.

Our dogs have also been *weird* after they get groomed. Sometimes they are standoffish afterward, even now that they are used to it. When we adopted them a year ago, they were matted and long haired and scraggly, and they had to be shaved down all the way. I could see then that their skin was irritated. Not a ton, but just a little red all over, and naturally, they were quite itchy for about a week. So my question is, are you keeping him brushed out in between grooms? If not, and if he's getting matted, that's setting him up for skin conditions that could be causing his discomfort.

But if not that, you might try giving him a little t-shirt if he likes to wear stuff. His whole body probably feels a little strange without all his hair, and a t-shirt can be comforting and warm.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
My ex got the bichon that we adopted, no chance in grooming that dog, fur like a sheep. Thick and matted.

Took him to a professional groomer knowing he would be skinned, and sure enough, she sheared him like a sheep, most of it came off in one piece. He looked ridiculous, wore a snug t-shirt for a bit but i'm sure he felt better afterward.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
My ex got the bichon that we adopted, no chance in grooming that dog, fur like a sheep. Thick and matted.

Took him to a professional groomer knowing he would be skinned, and sure enough, she sheared him like a sheep, most of it came off in one piece. He looked ridiculous, wore a snug t-shirt for a bit but i'm sure he felt better afterward.
I know that hair, Samantha is half Bischon, and her hair is much like cotton candy. We brush her daily, and she goes to a professional groomer every month, which is the only way to keep up with fast growing hair like hers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have groomed dogs of all kinds (our own and our friends dogs), so hopefully I can help.

Dogs that are groomed short can suffer from some discomfort. They may feel the breeze on them and want to sit more then usual (since their back-end feels strange). They may be cold, itchy, or feel like they aren't protected. I have seen them walk around with their tails tucked, sit down multiple times, curl up in tight balls, ect.
The best way we have found to stop this is to find a comfortable, tight (not uncomfortable) coat to let them wear for the first few days. After this they usually get right over it. I also like to tuck them under a blanket if they look cold.

It sounds like you are an awesome owner, so don't worry, he should get back to his normal self in a few days.
Let us know if he continues to show issues. Some dogs injure their back during grooming and if this is the case they may walk hunched up, shake or cry out in pain. We've had a couple dogs get hurt backs during grooming, so watch for signs of back pain.

Best of luck! : )
Needed to read your advise because I am going thru the exact same thing since Monday when groomed! Jane

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do have one pet at home and I have also groomed it some time before but my dog doesn't behave awkward or strange. He behaves nicely with me and everybody around us. If you are feeling such problem with your dog consult with professionals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello my name is Anna and i have a little dog (havenese mixed with shi tzu) almost two years old. We haven't groomed him for quite some time so we went and cut him very short about a week ago. After that, he has been a really difficult dog. We searched for any harm signs from the groomer but there was none, plus that she told us that he has been very kind during the whole procedure, but he is a complete different dog.
1. He doesnt want to go down on the floor
2. wants physical contact ALL the time
3. Nagging when we are away - we recorded him
4. shaking everytime he has to go out, but when he does go out he is ok with it

All in all our worries concern two subjects, firstly, is he going to be his old normal self again and secondly how should we treat him to ease a little bit this difficult time for him and us without spoiling him in a way that he will continue this behaviour just to get more attention?

Please anyone with infos, bring it on!!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog got a very close puppy shave and he is only 11 mos old. Aside from being scalped he was shaking' would not go down on floor and his but was backed into the corner of the couch.....Called groomer to find out if he maybe fell or he was not cooperative. Asked about anal glan.She said squeezed but nothing came out!..........waited a few days and took him to the vet.... There was no fever but...He had skin infection because the groomer should Never shave a puppies skin . He a
So sad his anal gland was not Emty so the vet expressed anal,glands anti biotic for infection
after a week he was still not himself...Brought to our relative vet an they say his anal gland was hard and can cause pain...They expressed again continued with pain med and he was fine! This was very upsetting an expensiive.The groomer was not our usual one we go to.The vets and the other good groomer said A puppy should never be shaved down and our baby really suffered from this......We went to this groomer because of covid....So your do could be in pain especially because he is shivering.....I hop this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess your dog is not feeling comfortable with his new hairstyles. That's why he is behaving in this way. Some dogs do this when they are feeling discomfort. Next time if you feel like your dog is not comfortable then you can groom him at home. There are many affordable grooming shears are available. Maybe your dog will feel comfortable when you start to groom him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts