Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help. I am starting a service that strictly picks up and drops off dogs locally to groomers, vets and daycare. I don't want to get involved in anything other than local transportation.

To the dog grooming owner: Would you see my service as a welcomed idea. Please explain why or why not.

What would encourage a groomer owner to offer my services to their clients if you?

How should I approach the owner

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum
I am not sure if it would fly..I am not sure where you are but here in Texas there are at least 3 mobile groomers in my area. When I had a grooming business in Florida we had to pick up and delivery because of where we lived. Here I live where the clients can drop off them self. I could honestly say I would not recommend that to my clients. You are going to have carry some very good insurance.

If you live in a small town it may work fine. I know the elderly would probably use your services for vets...possibly grooming..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for replying. I do live in a cluster of small towns. Could you please expound on your feelings of why it would not fly. I am hoping you are a shop owner or have a good feel on their practices.

I know from a pet owner with five kids busy busy, busy, busy, blah, blah, blah, I would welcome the service. But please give insight what the reservation to a well insured company have their clients dropped off to them.

Again thanks for your insight

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I am an owner..One thing I see is communication. The client relates to me what they want once I see the dog..I can make suggestions once I see the dog and can show them, on their dog before grooming. Also when picking up if I need to tell them something it is easier for them to be there so I can explain and possibly show them something.

Think about you being in the middle of a bad groom or an injured dog...If you know the groomer really well then you may not have a problem. If not you could get blamed for injury in transport...Just some thoughts..I always point out little nicks that happen during the grooming so the owner is aware to prevent dog from scratching/licking/chewing/causing more problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the long reply but I value your input as a owner. I know you can see holes that as never having your position I am blind too.

But yep, that's one of the holes I am trying to figure out how to accurately and efficiently transfer expectations and results to the satisfaction of our pet owner and groomer.

Also I understand I need to establish a transfer of responsibility of pet condition in a way that is pleasing to both the pet owner and groomer.

I felt my first step was to begin communicating with groomer owners to figure out this transfer so its not extra work on the already difficult task of pleasing the client. Or make sure my services are utilized in a way in which its benefits to the dog groomer out weight the added activity.

I understand also that owners could have a reservation because my service could be perceived as a reflection good or bad to the groomer.

I am one of those crazy optimist that thinks there is a way.

I understand you can't replace the human component of customer service. But what's your feelings on utilizing technology. whether its, picture confirmations of condition signed off by groomer, video, or some combination is a useful mobil app that can instantly update pet owner?

My target I believe is that busy pet owner and as you mentioned that senior citizen. Probably not the senior citizen but from a client perspective(I maybe telling my age 34) I would be opened to mobile update for the normal satisfied service from my groomer and on a rare occasion of issue I would call. (when I say rare I am speaking from the dog owner perspective. I have only had a issue with my groomer once over 3 years)

That was Long. Im sorry!!!! but thanks

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
You will just have to think of all the worst case scenarios and see how you would handle them. Talking to people with groom dogs and seeing if it is something they would pay for would be a good start. Talk to groomers in your area and see if it something they would recommend/refer and what they feel would be the only down falls. I know when Daughters, Sons...someone other then the main dog owner picks up I never know for sure if my observations are related or not. Luckily most are long time clients so if they have any questions they will call me.

It is also really hard to find out what exactly the owner wants when someone other then them drops the dog off. Most of the time I do wind up calling them or having them call me to find out for sure. So if the client is willing to call or be called by the groomer you would not have a problem there.

What about fearful dogs? Have you handled many? Also old dogs with health issues? Traveling in an unknown vehicle with an unknown person and unknown crate could be very stressful by itself. In time they would get use to it but at first you might have some stress issues to deal with.

Hope this helps..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts