Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only 13 so I have a long way to go. But I was wondering, since I still have a lot of time, how do I start dog grooming? :confused:

I have a few questions:

• First of all, how do you learn? Do you need to take classes?
  • What is an idea of how much it pays? Per hour or per dog? How does it work?
  • How should I get started? Is there anything I could do now?
I was also wondering what I could do now. I love dogs and I want to get a job of some kind around dogs. But as you know, I'm young. So what are some good ideas of things I could do working with dogs?

Thank you! :D

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
The best thing you should do is go to a groomers (maybe call first) and ask the groomers those questions ;) People love to mentor someone who wants to do what they do-and that woudl be a great way to get your information and maybe get started now volunteering or learning ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best thing you should do is go to a groomers (maybe call first) and ask the groomers those questions ;) People love to mentor someone who wants to do what they do-and that woudl be a great way to get your information and maybe get started now volunteering or learning ;)
Alright, I'll try that. Thank you! :D

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
First of all, how do you learn? Do you need to take classes?
from what I understand there are grooming schools you can pay to go to, or if you ar already a bather at a salon, your employer may help with getting you through grooming school. I don't know if you can simply apprentice at a shop, tho that doesn't sound far fetched.

What is an idea of how much it pays? Per hour or per dog? How does it work?
depends, most of the groomers I know of get paid min wage plus commission/tips

How should I get started? Is there anything I could do now?
I agree with Mikey, finding a mentor is a good start. Most groomers start as bathers and work their way up.

Good luck :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd call a few shops. See if they can help you, maybe let you volunteer for a little bit to see if you life. Im sure int he future they might hire you on to train you to groom

Pay depends.

apprenticing? normally minimum wage or a teeny bit higher + tips.
Actual grooming? normally its a perecent such as 60/40. if you groom a $40.00 dog. you would get roughly 25 bucks for doing that dog. and so on.
I don't know if you can simply apprentice at a shop, tho that doesn't sound far fetched.
Thats what I do at my work.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I went to grooming school. It is a VERY demanding job mentally and physically. You should be strong have infinite amounts of patience and be able to be on your feet all day, and have good people skills. also should be talented with shears.

There are some grooming schools around where you can get certified, or some grooming salons will apprentice in return for you working there for a while.

some shops get paid with a small base hourly salary and added commission, others are based only off commission per dog (or cat). It is VERY good pay, $30-60 for cuts or sometimes even MORE per dog! But you should be able to work between 6-8 dogs a day to receive a good profit from commissions you'd get.

now I would say read up as much as you can on grooming tools, proper grooming procedures, techniques with brushing, clipping and trimming and if you have neighbors that don't mind you practicing nail clipping and brushing out their dogs practice that. I don't recommend practicing with clippers or shears quite yet because serious injuries can happen if you make a mistake.

Good luck if you pursue grooming! :) it turned out not to be the right career choice for me, but I hope it works out for you :)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
There are 2 young girls in town who just opened up a grooming salon / training facility, after becoming certified. They also attended many seminars and spent a lot of time, volunteering. They took out a small business gov. loan and they are doing very well for themselves.
They are booked solid and they do about 12 dogs a day between the 2 of them. They are very involved in all sorts of community events and offer their services free of charge to shelter animals. I don't know them well but I think it's awesome that they are doing so well at something they love and establishing a good client base.

For now, maybe you could become a dog walker at the local shelter and once you've become a trusted and reliable person in their eyes, maybe they would let you start by bathing the dogs that come in? Any hands on experience is great and working with many differnent dogs would also help you decide if this is really something you want to do.

Without having to purchase a lot of reading / reference material at first, you could go to the library and see what they have to offer in terms of breed specific grooming guides. (Books and DVD format)

You could even offer up free brushing and bathing to your friends and family, just for the practice.

Good Luck to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.