Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to this local la place where they groom dogs. It was recommended to me by a friend. When we went their it was all good. But they ended up chopping 2 of my dogs nails completely. 🤦🏿‍♂️ And one of them Barely had their nail removed but it was still attached but they cut my 3rd dog but not completely. Some in conclusion what do I do? I’m mad and I believe they might have done it on purpose. Also they told us they they might have had a broken nail already but after they cut the nail so they were lying to our faces and they didn’t want to tell us that they cut their whole nail off even though we saw it and they didn’t want to tell us the truth. So they lied even after they chopped their nail off and they tired to blame it on me which I didn’t even have my dogs like that. So what am I supposed to do now? I’m not just going to leave that alone. Can some one please help?

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
I can understand you being angry.

First, in conflict resolution, you need to get the emotion put aside, using words like ”mad” although understandable, is not helpful.

Then a letter saying what you expected, what they did , and why that falls short of the standards you expect.

Then, what you want them to do about it. Have you been financially disadvantaged, like with a vet bill, that you expect them to pay? Or is your dog unable to walk without a protective dressing or similar? Is an apology OK? I'm not in the US so members there may be able to add more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went to this local la place where they groom dogs. It was recommended to me by a friend. When we went their it was all good. But they ended up chopping 2 of my dogs nails completely. 🤦🏿‍♂️ And one of them Barely had their nail removed but it was still attached but they cut my 3rd dog but not completely. Some in conclusion what do I do? I’m mad and I believe they might have done it on purpose. Also they told us they they might have had a broken nail already but after they cut the nail so they were lying to our faces and they didn’t want to tell us that they cut their whole nail off even though we saw it and they didn’t want to tell us the truth. So they lied even after they chopped their nail off and they tired to blame it on me which I didn’t even have my dogs like that. So what am I supposed to do now? I’m not just going to leave that alone. Can some one please help?

First, in conflict resolution, you need to get the emotion put aside, using words like ”mad” although understandable, is not helpful.

Then a letter saying what you expected, what they did , and why that falls short of the standards you expect.

Then, what you want them to do about it. Have you been financially disadvantaged, like with a vet bill, that you expect them to pay? Or is your dog unable to walk without a protective dressing or similar? Is an apology OK? I'm not in the US so members there may be able to add more.

Ok well honestly I’ve been to multiple places to where I get my dogs groomed and if you can understand I live in south central where you know the living standards aren’t that great with living pay check to pay check. So grooming my dogs I try to find places where it can be cheep so we tried to find a place that’s not expensive because when I go to a vet they charge a lot and we’ll I feel like it’s too much sometimes but even mans best friend. But besides I’ve gone to multiple places, but the issue I had with this one was terrible. My dogs are chihuahuas and we’ll they don’t sit still and they hate getting their nail cut. But every single time I’ve gone to those places it’s always been great. They cut their nail and it’s all good no blood or anything nothing goes wrong. But since we were trying to save money but going to a different grooming place and not a vet. It was recommended to me by a friend. So we thought is was all good, To get straight to the point. They didn’t to a great job. And I do feel that my dogs were mistreated. I’m only 19 and I went with my sister, she’s 23 and since we are young they tired to lie to us straight to our faces saying that “ohh your dogs already came like this right?” We said No he didn’t. Trying to blame us for them cutting the whole nail off. First we didn’t think much off it but then we gave them our denial dog which the mail had a mouth thing to prevent him from butting because last time we took him to a vet he but my sister. So he didn’t screen when he nail was and we didn’t hear me. But after we gave the female dog. I’ve never hear her in soo much pain. Then I knew they did the same thing to her. And for what? So they did the same thing tired to lie to our faces and didn’t want to take the responsibility for what they did. I knew it couldn’t be just a coincidence. Like come on? Aren’t they supposed to be professional at cutting dogs nails? But no they needed up two of my dogs nails. Also we have another dog which we left also to cut the nails and left him to trim his hair. After we came back because they told us it would take some time. So we left and came back later on. And to no surprise my other dog the same thing they did, they weren’t careful and ended up cutting his nail too but They didn’t take the whole thing off but they did manage to cut enough so it would bleed. And I’m truly devastated that they had to go through that. Because that I feel they’ve gotten traumatised on that situation. We went to petco after just to see how much it would cost to do their grooming their. We brought our dog their and he was scared because he thought it was going to be the same thing. So I really feel bad they went through that pain. I don’t know what do do because if it was only one dag I would’ve been like ok maybe it was just an accident and that’s ok. But it happened to all my dogs ? That can’t be just a coincidence. So what should I do? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Like I said, think about what you want from this. Obviously what's done is done, they can't put the nails back. So a refund? Vets bill paid if needed? Then a letter like above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said, think about what you want from this. Obviously what's done is done, they can't put the nails back. So a refund? Vets bill paid if needed? Then a letter like above.
What I want is is a why? I don’t care about no refund, they obviously did it on purpose. I want to sue them for what they did. But is it a reasonably? If I have a suspicion of animal abuse? I just need help on what you think I should do? Because I don’t want this to happen to anyone else’s furry friends. I wouldn’t want this to continue, they obviously don’t have any respect or responsibility. They aren’t taking accountability for their actions. And that’s simple not how a business should be run. Am I able to sue them for doing it to all my dogs? That’s honestly not acceptable how they do what they do and they didn’t even say sorry. Even when I confronted them they continued to lie. And said it was my dogs fault that they cut a whole nail off. I just need to know if I’m over reacting or am I able to sue to have them shut down for what they did?

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
That, I don't know. I imagine it would be hard to prove it was deliberate, but if that is your intention you probably need qualified legal advice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What I want is is a why? I don’t care about no refund, they obviously did it on purpose. I want to sue them for what they did. But is it a reasonably? If I have a suspicion of animal abuse? I just need help on what you think I should do? Because I don’t want this to happen to anyone else’s furry friends. I wouldn’t want this to continue, they obviously don’t have any respect or responsibility. They aren’t taking accountability for their actions. And that’s simple not how a business should be run. Am I able to sue them for doing it to all my dogs? That’s honestly not acceptable how they do what they do and they didn’t even say sorry. Even when I confronted them they continued to lie. And said it was my dogs fault that they cut a whole nail off. I just need to know if I’m over reacting or am I able to sue to have them shut down for what they did?
Put your emotions aside and forget about your feelings being hurt that they blamed you, lied or whatever.

You don’t have vet bills? You aren’t asking for a refund?

Then forget a lawsuit because there is no way you can prove damages, and emotional stress to a dog isn’t something you’ll ever be compensated for. Sounds more like you want to make empty threats because you’re upset with them. I suggest you just take your dogs elsewhere

Have them shut down for clipping a nail too short? You aren’t being rational

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do understand that I might have made some mistakes and possibly have been acting on pure emotion. I’ve have done some research and I’ve possibly haven’t been taking care of my dogs probably. And their nails might have been damaged during the process and the best possible solution was to cut their entire nail off so that they could grow a new and healthy one. No need for this post anymore. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
670 Posts
Ok well honestly I’ve been to multiple places to where I get my dogs groomed and if you can understand I live in south central where you know the living standards aren’t that great with living pay check to pay check. So grooming my dogs I try to find places where it can be cheep so we tried to find a place that’s not expensive because when I go to a vet they charge a lot and we’ll I feel like it’s too much sometimes but even mans best friend. But besides I’ve gone to multiple places, but the issue I had with this one was terrible. My dogs are chihuahuas and we’ll they don’t sit still and they hate getting their nail cut. But every single time I’ve gone to those places it’s always been great. They cut their nail and it’s all good no blood or anything nothing goes wrong. But since we were trying to save money but going to a different grooming place and not a vet. It was recommended to me by a friend. So we thought is was all good, To get straight to the point. They didn’t to a great job. And I do feel that my dogs were mistreated. I’m only 19 and I went with my sister, she’s 23 and since we are young they tired to lie to us straight to our faces saying that “ohh your dogs already came like this right?” We said No he didn’t. Trying to blame us for them cutting the whole nail off. First we didn’t think much off it but then we gave them our denial dog which the mail had a mouth thing to prevent him from butting because last time we took him to a vet he but my sister. So he didn’t screen when he nail was and we didn’t hear me. But after we gave the female dog. I’ve never hear her in soo much pain. Then I knew they did the same thing to her. And for what? So they did the same thing tired to lie to our faces and didn’t want to take the responsibility for what they did. I knew it couldn’t be just a coincidence. Like come on? Aren’t they supposed to be professional at cutting dogs nails? But no they needed up two of my dogs nails. Also we have another dog which we left also to cut the nails and left him to trim his hair. After we came back because they told us it would take some time. So we left and came back later on. And to no surprise my other dog the same thing they did, they weren’t careful and ended up cutting his nail too but They didn’t take the whole thing off but they did manage to cut enough so it would bleed. And I’m truly devastated that they had to go through that. Because that I feel they’ve gotten traumatised on that situation. We went to petco after just to see how much it would cost to do their grooming their. We brought our dog their and he was scared because he thought it was going to be the same thing. So I really feel bad they went through that pain. I don’t know what do do because if it was only one dag I would’ve been like ok maybe it was just an accident and that’s ok. But it happened to all my dogs ? That can’t be just a coincidence. So what should I do? Any suggestions?
I understand you're upset, and as a couple of days have past since you posted, you've had chance to calm down.

I think you said your dogs are chihuahuas? Well, if my little diva Honey is any indication of the breed, they do scream blue murder for the slightest little thing. I remember trying to hold her still so my brother could do her nail and I swear my neighbours must have thought we were torturing her, so I can understand what you might think she was in pain. We never did cut Honey's nail - I took her to a groomer.

I also think it's worth mentioning that many dogs don't like their feet touched or held at all, and even fewer like their nails clipped. My lurcher shuts down if I take her to the groomer for her nails, and that's heartbreaking to see. I'm on another forum and one of their members made a good point - even the sharpest clippers squeeze the nail." And if you catch the quick, it bleeds like mad!

So I wonder if what you heard was a chihuahua in panic, as opposed to pain, and the "deliberate" act of cutting the nail off/too short, was the result of the groomer struggling with a panicking dog trying to pull his or her foot away. It is a distressing image - even for me as a third party, but as someone who has the same breed, I can see it in my mind's eye, I can hear your dog screaming - not in pain, but in panic, because I can hear Honey (she's not even here at the moment, she's at my brother's).

Clearly, I wouldn't advise you to take the dogs there again, but you could teach your dogs to let you do their nails at home, not with clippers, but with a nail grinder. Now that their nails are short, it's the best time to introduce and condition them to accept you handling their nails and the grinder.

Step 1:
Touch the dogs' paws with a finger and treat.

Step 2:
Grab/hold the dogs' feet and treat. Vary the pressure.

Step 3:
Introduce the grinder (turned off). Treat for being calm/relaxed around it.

Step 4:
Turn the grinder on, but leave it on the floor. Treat for being calm around the sound.

Step 5:
Hold the grinder and touch the paw with a finger (introducing the vibration). At this point, if the dog wants to retreat, let them. Watch for lip licking, avoidance (turning head/body away), stiffening, etc, and if noticed, stop. If the dog wants to retreat, let them.

Step 6:
With the grinder turned off, touch the dog's paw with the tip. Treat/reward for being calm, but as above, watch out for those signals that the dog isn't happy.

Step 7:
Turn the grinder on, tap a nail, and remove.

Step 8:
Build it up from there until you can do all the dogs' nails.

If at any point, the dogs show signs of fear go back a step.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: JoanneF
1 - 9 of 9 Posts