Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help getting my sheltie to lose some weight. He broke his shoulder two years ago and since he's been kinda lazy (with good reason) but hes weighing in at about 45 pounds, the vet wants him to be down 5-10lbs. now he can walk and run short distances so i make sure we try and get exercise in every day. and i feed him maybe 3/4 cup of weight control food 2x a day, but he's still fat. :mad: he also gets kale and sweet potatoes in his food about 3x a week. maybe less treats? i tried to cut back... ugh, any ideas? i'm stumped.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
just feed him once a day instead of twice or let him fast for a day from time to time until he's back to his normal weight?
swimming is also better for the bones and joints and it burns calories. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Although it doesn't sound like you are feeding a lot, if your dog is gaining weight or needs to lose weight ......you are! Treats must be counted as part of the food intake also! In getting your dog to lose weight it is no different than for humans.......cut back on the food! Cut back meals by 10% (a slow loss is safer) and limit treats. No sharing your dinner no matter how pitiful of looks he gives you LOL!
I have to watch my girl's weight constantly cuz she puts the lbs on quickly if I don't! Whenever she starts losing her 'waistline' a bit I know I am feeding her too much and not exercising her enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts