Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I have a 9-month old Shiba Inu named Kiyoko. She is an AMAZING, smart dog. Her temperment is the best and we absolutely adore her. She is lovable and friendly but a little too friendly when people come over. If anybody she doesn't know walks through the door -- a new friend, lol, she will jump up and paw and cry and whine to get their attention and she will do that all over the person. When I come home from work she is so excited, she pulls at my clothes, jumps up on me and won't stop. I sit down and she will even pull my ponytail. She is so darn cute and I know she's not doing this in a negative way, she just LOVES people. But to be honest, after a long day at work, I tend to yell at her and push her away and then she thinks it's a game. How do you train this behavior out of a dog?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Hello there, I have a 9-month old Shiba Inu named Kiyoko. She is an AMAZING, smart dog. Her temperment is the best and we absolutely adore her. She is lovable and friendly but a little too friendly when people come over. If anybody she doesn't know walks through the door -- a new friend, lol, she will jump up and paw and cry and whine to get their attention and she will do that all over the person. When I come home from work she is so excited, she pulls at my clothes, jumps up on me and won't stop. I sit down and she will even pull my ponytail. She is so darn cute and I know she's not doing this in a negative way, she just LOVES people. But to be honest, after a long day at work, I tend to yell at her and push her away and then she thinks it's a game. How do you train this behavior out of a dog?
First things first: welcome to DF! :)
Second: I know it's very naughty but it sounds so cute that she pulls at your ponytail. I secretly love non-aggressive naughty pups :eek:
Now for the matter at hand: my dog was very similar. My best advice is to ignore her completely until she settles. The instant she settles, praise the heck out of her! Lots of petting and 'good girls', play with a toy, give her a cookie, etc. Here comes the tough part. Your visitors need to do the same thing. Completely ignore her before she gets attention. It's always harder to train people than dogs haha. Consistency will be key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Aspen, I will sure try it. It's so difficult because I just lover her so darn much and she just LOVES people. Even when we go to the vet. She loves the doctor and the techs so much she goes nuts and pees everywhere lol. They absolutely love her too, so they don't mind.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@Tacye I hear ya! They suck us in with those cute little puppy eyes haha... how old is she? Has she done any obedience training? Going to some classes may help with socialization and learning how to act in public ;) Do you have any dog friendly stores or restaurants around? They sell some vests that say "Dog in Training"... you could put one on her and really expose her to a variety of situations.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Does she like toys? This worked with Freyja. She would go crazy when someone came in the door and jump. A 100 pound puppy hurts jumping on you. She would whine and cry, running around. I don't know why but I started to give her a toy and she would still be crazy but the jumping lessened. And with some work it has stopped. Now I have a box of toys at the front door. When anyone comes in they take a toy and give it to her. She'll run around the house, whining but doesn't jump. She loves getting 'new' toys and looks for them. The other day I didn't have a toy in my hand, so she tried to take the grocery bag I had.

You could also try making her sit and only giving her attention/treats when she sits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 16 week old Shiba does this as well! Except he will get so excited he pees! ACK! I will try these suggestions, too - hoping one will work!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts