Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a female Lab mix (11-month-old puppy) for about two weeks. If I take her on a car ride (riding behind the back seat but with views out the window available), she gets car sick! Twice she's thrown up her dinner (no more feedings an hour or two before a car ride!); another time it was first thing in the morning on the way to the dog park (had not eaten for 12 hours before).

Any thoughts on how to prevent this dog from getting car sick? I'd hate to not be able to take her to the dog park or any other place outside my immediate neighborhood...

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's probably a mixture of actual car sickness and stress. Does she also drool in the car? Try taking her for little, tiny drives for no reason. 5 minutes, maybe less. Drive slow, and praise her. Increase the time of riding. Give her treats/food in the car to make it happy, but ONLY if you're not actually driving anywhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's probably a mixture of actual car sickness and stress. Does she also drool in the car? Try taking her for little, tiny drives for no reason. 5 minutes, maybe less. Drive slow, and praise her. Increase the time of riding. Give her treats/food in the car to make it happy, but ONLY if you're not actually driving anywhere.

Good luck!
Good suggestion.
Start small and take your dog for a short drive and then increase the riding time slowly. She will get used to it this way.
You can try to let her play with a ball or some toys while taking the ride too.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Our older dog got terribly car sick until she was about 11 months. After trying short trips and other desensitization techniques, we started using dramamine under the guidance of our vet.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Difficult one. Some dogs just seem to be more susceptible than others.
My wife's osteopath has always had labs and from the same place. One was fine. The other couldn't go any distance.

We got lucky. Ours is fine.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Our older dog got terribly car sick until she was about 11 months. After trying short trips and other desensitization techniques, we started using dramamine under the guidance of our vet.
Samantha has been intermittently getting car sick since we adopted her. We know little of her first year, but we speculate something very unpleasant happened to her, related to a car ride. Shelter could only tell us she had been picked up as a stray. For the first year even before the car moved, she would start drooling and licking. We too gave her Dramamine, dosed as our Vet advised. She is much better now, almost seven years later, but will still occasionally get car sick. We know the signs, my wife holds up a plastic bag, Samantha willingly puts her head in and does her thing. She is a super cooperative dog. Interestingly we have a very large diesel motorhome, that Samantha travels in with us. She has never, not once been sick in the motorhome. Guess the motion is different enough that it doesn't bother her.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Samantha has been intermittently getting car sick since we adopted her. We know little of her first year, but we speculate something very unpleasant happened to her, related to a car ride. Shelter could only tell us she had been picked up as a stray. For the first year even before the car moved, she would start drooling and licking. We too gave her Dramamine, dosed as our Vet advised. She is much better now, almost seven years later, but will still occasionally get car sick. We know the signs, my wife holds up a plastic bag, Samantha willingly puts her head in and does her thing. She is a super cooperative dog. Interestingly we have a very large diesel motorhome, that Samantha travels in with us. She has never, not once been sick in the motorhome. Guess the motion is different enough that it doesn't bother her.
Odd that she's fine in the motorhome, but Katie seemed to only get sick traveling north, so who knows... Dogs, man.

Katie doesn't get sick any more, but she is uncomfortable in the car. I can't tell if she's nauseated or stressed. :(

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Easy way to find out if it's stress due to the vehicle or vehicle movement, load her up in the car and you sit in the drivers seat. Don't start the car, see how she reacts after 10 or 20 minutes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cerenia use a good suggestion... VERY effective but without any of the sedative side effects of dramamine. Super safe drug (one of the newer 'miracle' veterinary drug with almost no downsides and lots of positive effects in dogs and cats). Car sickness was what this drug was originally designed to treat, but it turns out to do so much more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts